Betta Fish Forum banner

Emergency?

495 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jman828 
#1 ·
Hi, in my QT when I was changing the water today I noticed for the first time a very foul odor coming from it (it smelt like rotting mussels or clams) I've never noticed this before and have no clue why it would smell so bad, (it made ME gag and I'm usually VERY tollerant of odors as I'm a country guy). If it could make a difference I was using a Pro Balance 7 Day Betta Block (However the water was clear so It didn't cloud it or anything). :-?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon QT
What temperature is your tank? 80 Degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nothing

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bite Pellets + Tetra Freeze Dried Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 3-4 Days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: X
Nitrite: X
Nitrate: X
pH: X
Hardness: X
Alkalinity: X

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hasn't
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? No Symptoms
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Don't think so
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 Months about

See less See more
#2 ·
It might have been a combination of the ammonia build up of 3-4 days unchanged water in qt and the betta block you used. Or it might have jut been the betta block. If your betta's not showing any side effects, I'd say he's fine and to just use dechlorinated water and maybe change the water a little more often, like every other day or so since he's in quarantine.

Is he in there before you add him to a tank because he's new or was he sick? I know some illnesses in bettas leave the water smelling like sulfur if it isn't changed frequently.

#3 ·
He's just in there recovering from when his tail fell of from a jump.....but it's growing like a weed so he'll be in a bigger one soon

#6 ·
no salt treatment was done a long time ago. And I was using the block because I was going away for a while

#8 ·
Nothing else, and these blocks are for bettas and they don't cloud the water at all and I've used them quite a bit and many friends have also with no quality issues because they are specially fomulated for bettas and to nutralize their water also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.