Betta Fish Forum banner

Thinking about sticking something in with Dahvie

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  inareverie85 
#1 ·
But I'm not really sure..

I have a 10 gallon tank and will be getting gravel substrate with maybe a few more plastic plants. NO live plants, I don't like them.

Yes filter and yes heater..

What could I put in there that he can get along with? if anything at all lol

I won't be too disappointed if there's nothing he can tolerate

#4 ·
If he is going to get on with anything, here are some suggestions:
- 8 ember tetras
- 8 pygmy cories
- 6 panda cories
- 4 larger cories (such as bronze)
- 4 male Endlers Livebearers
Obviously not all at once, just one of those things. :) And, of course, shrimp.

#5 · (Edited)
I highly, highly recommened White Cloud Mountain Minnows. There bio-load is quite low and they are the hardiest of the hardy! Get the normal ones, don't get the golden ones which are apparently defective usually because the genes are bad. I'm not a geneticist by any means... just going off of what I've noticed and heard from my LFS.

They are quite beautiful once they get settled. Lively and develop their own little personalities. I have three in my 3.5 gallon with my female veil tale and they all do wonderfully together. Their colors are coming in so nicely and they have really neat little displays where their fins splay out and their bodies shimmy. Active yet calm for community fish. I'm lucky that I live in Texas and my tank without a heater stays between 69-72 which all the fish seem happy about.

#6 ·
They are quite beautiful once they get settled. Lively and develop their own little personalities. I have three in my 3.5 gallon with my female veil tale and they all do wonderfully together. Their colors are coming in so nicely and they have really neat little displays where their fins splay out and their bodies shimmy. Active yet calm for community fish. I'm lucky that I live in Texas and my tank without a heater stays between 69-72 which all the fish seem happy about.
I hope you do realize that bettas are tropical fish, they require temperatures around 78 not 70. Lower temps cause a weaker immune system, which means it is easier to get sick, which can then lead to an early death.

Also that many fish in such a small tank needs every other day cleaning because of the bioload. Which can also lead to an early death. Not trying to be mean.

#9 ·
Looks like we posted at the same time. xD

#10 ·
For a 10 gallon, I really like small tetras, if the specific sort of tetra isn't known for fin-nipping. :)

Otocinclus are SUPER cute, in my opinion, but they eat algae and such, so you'd have to drop wafers in for them or some sliced vegetables. Otos are also a schooling fish that are happiest with at least 3-5.

Smaller species of peaceful rainbows are nice, too, like the furcata. You can probably put 3-5 of them in there with the betta. They put on quite a display with their fins, and they don't nip. You'll need to be sure you feed them bits that are small enough for their tiny mouths, though. They're one of my favorite fish.

It really all comes down to the betta as well. I have two bettas that are thriving in community tanks. One rules over a 15 gallon with plants, otocinclus, and furcata rainbows. The other lives peacefully in a 27 gallon with threadfin rainbows, otocinclus, and a mild-mannered German Blue Ram.

And then I have Sashimi :p He won't even tolerate a pair of otos in his 8 gallon to keep the plants clean. He flares at any fish I put near his tank.. So he has horned nerite snails, and he's okay with those. :p Anything else, I think he'd rip apart.

#11 ·
sorry i should've updated this but I have 4 glo fish and 2 cory catfish a peppered and an albino. everyone is getting along fantastically! i monitored very closely for the first 2 weeks to ensure no one was nipping or bullying each other and Dahvie is surprisingly very tolerant of his new fish mates :) They've been together for almost a month now.

#12 ·
Cory catfish are a schooling fish that need groups of 4+ . . .

#15 ·
Which a peppered and an albino aren't.
Glofish also need schools of 6+. They are super active and really do better in the length of a 20 gallon.

Max, I strongly suggest taking the glofish and either the peppered or the albino cory back to the shop, and getting 3 more of the cory you choose to keep )R upgrading to a 20 gallon and giving everyone the schools they need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.