Betta Fish Forum banner

Ghost shrimp = scared betta?

11K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  AlmightyNelly 
#1 ·
I decided to test the waters with by bringing home a couple of ghost shrimp to put in my bettas tank. It's only been a full day but I've noticed that my betta seems to be hiding rather than being out in the open. I also noticed that when I enter the room, he bolts.

Not entirely sure how many are still alive, they're pretty decent hiders. I know that at least one is still alive. Can anyone help or offer any advice on my betta being so jumpy?

#2 ·
Every betta reacts differently to housemates. If your betta is really unhappy with his new companions and doesn't adjust he may just not be the type to accept them.

#3 ·
I'm going to give him a little more time to see if he'll be okay. Only one shrimp has passed but I think it was more from natural causes. If he doesn't get along with the shrimp, will they be okay in an aquarium with cories and tetras?

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone but something tells me my little guy has found himself a snack. I can't confirm just yet, but come water change time, I'll be able to figure out if there are any survivors (can't locate any shrimps at the moment).

#6 ·
My Betta ate one of my two Ghost Shrimp and is eye-balling the other. I had read that Ghost Shrimp were a good choice for a Betta tank, but of course, after I got them, I found a couple posts about Bettas chomping them.
My guy left them alone for a week and then ate one during the night. It gave him a tummy ache, but that hasn't stopped him from looking hungrily at the remaining shrimp.:frustrated:

#7 ·
I have had the issue with my betta being harassed by the ghost shrimp. There was a fairly large one in the tank, and she was harassing poor Goblin until he spit the food he had just eaten out, then she would steal it. It also caused him to start tail biting from the stress.
Either way, its all up to your guys personality. :) I started out with 6 and i think I'm down to 2-4.

#8 ·
I have had Ghost shrimp with my Betta. The first couple of days he wasn't sure what to think of them. He ran and hid from them, but once he got adjusted they did just fine. Fritz my Betta would actually try to eat all the food before they could get to it.

They are extremely good hiders though. There were a few times that I thought Fritz had eaten them. They always showed back up a few days later.

#16 ·
That's a pretty small setup for a betta and ghost shrimp. I would really consider getting a bigger setup, to give your betta and the shrimp their equal space. Your betta is probably going to end up attacking the shrimp since they don't have much room to get away from each other. Please take this advice into consideration. You would probably do better to move the shrimp to another setup unless you want him to become a snack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.