Betta Fish Forum banner

Other Fish Photos

94K views 679 replies 95 participants last post by  firemage 
#1 ·
A place to share your non betta fish photos :)

My school of red eyed tetras, I love these guys and wish I had room for more of them.

My huge female scissor tail, she's between 3" and 4". The male is in the background, He's only slightly shorter and way slimmer.

My blue(3 spot) Gourami, he's around 4"

See less See more
#5 ·
I love your scissortail, Copper. :)

My two koi and comet goldfish. Top: Tanko Left: Saiyo the goldfish Right: Koichiro

One of my gold dojo loaches, Bopper.
Awww you dojo is so cute! And I love your koi. At work we have a pure white(like a dragon betta but not metallic) with a small silver path on it's head. Whenever I see beutiful koi like that I really wish I had a big koi pond XD

And I'm glad you like the scissor tail, they are awesome. When they first went in my tank all my fish coward in complete fear at the bottom, it took them a week to realize the scissor tails are super docile and wouldn't hurt them and now they are happy and don't think twice about them(the red eyes sometimes try schooling with them, but fail at it)

Here's two more pics of them because I love them. The black and white image is the female and the color is the male.

thekoimaiden Awww, your dojo loach makes me miss mine, Sakura. He outgrew my tanks so I had to give him away.

Here are my other fish. The goldfish Goldeen and Seaking, and my koi. The picture of my goldfish is from about 2 weeks ago and the photo of the koi was from April. I should get some updated pictures of them, but it's just been so bloody hot.

By the end of the year, I'll hopefully have my community tank fully planted and stocked.
I love your Koi pond, how many gallons is it?

#3 ·
Awww, your dojo loach makes me miss mine, Sakura. He outgrew my tanks so I had to give him away.

Here are my other fish. The goldfish Goldeen and Seaking, and my koi. The picture of my goldfish is from about 2 weeks ago and the photo of the koi was from April. I should get some updated pictures of them, but it's just been so bloody hot.

By the end of the year, I'll hopefully have my community tank fully planted and stocked.

Attachments

#6 ·
Izzy, how big did your dojo get? I've had my two since March and they're maybe 5-6" long right now in a 29gal. I've heard they can get pretty big but while mine are growing, they aren't growing very fast.

Copper, do you think your scissortails will ever spawn?

#8 ·
It's possible but the eggs wouldn't survive since both the parents will eat the eggs and all my other fish would too. I could set them up in a spawning tank(20g long) but I'm not interested in breeding them.

#13 ·
They have a pecking order and often chase and nip one another, if you have a proper school it's a natural thing for them to do. If the school isn't big enough they sometimes will start chasing other fish and nipping them. I don't mind them chasing each other, I never see any torn fins and it makes them interesting to watch for me.

#16 ·
He's a beauty, LBF. I really do think that the killies don't get enough attention. Some of them rival marine fish in their colors.

Sakura, I did have my big guys in a 29 gal for about a year before I came to grips with the fact that I needed to upgrade them. I had one with a band of black across his eyes; he was so cute. With regular water changes, it's not the end of the world, but they will be bouncing off the sides. I know mine did.

#17 ·
They already do, when I reach in. I can hear the gravel clinking as they careen all over. Sigh. I've heard so many conflicting things about tank sizes for dojos. 20gal is okay, no it must be no smaller than a 50gal, no it must be 100gal . . .

I hate to give them up, I love them but I'm also worried about them. They're in the garage and in the winter it was great, the water stayed just right in the mid 60's. But now that it's summer, the water is almost 80. :( A few weeks ago when the temp was 108, they got up to 82. Much too warm for them.

Need two more 55gals . . .

#18 ·
Ya. There do seem to be a lot of conflicting opinions out there about them. That's why I'm glad I found a smaller, tropical alternative: kuhli loaches! ^-^ They look just like dojos but are like 1/5 the size.

Here's a strange thought: how would you feel about having them in with the koi? They can actually be a pond fish in certain areas. They are actually illegal in some states because they can survive in the local waterways.

#19 · (Edited)
If the koi don't mind, I wouldn't mind. I might wait until they're just a tad bigger but that's a thought. Right now, they seem more or less content in the 29gal, as long as I don't spook them with water changes. Then they go bouncing all over. Most of the time, they drape themselves in the plants. They look like they got stranded there after the tide went out, haha. Thanks, Izzy. :)

EDIT:
Kuhli loaches!!!

#20 ·
Yay! I think we found a solution that doesn't involve you buying another tank or giving them away. I remember my dojos loved to drape themselves over the plants. The java fern was their favorite.

Aren't they adorable? I want to have a tank stuffed full of those little guys (lol and I will when I can find a local supplier). If there was ever a fish I would want to breed; it's those guys. Have you seen pictures of the babies?

Also this picture is just too cute not to add:

#21 ·
Those are either very tiny kuhlis, one very big snail, or photoshopped. :shock:

They are cute. :) I wish I saw mine more, the nocturnal little buggers. I've heard they can be hard to breed. I don't know. I have a tank full of fish that should in theory breed or at least try (rummynoses, cories, gouramis) but no one does. Boo.

#25 ·
That snail was amazing, how big is it :D You you take a pic with your hand near it for comparison?

Yup that's him, and he actually doesn't look as pretty as he was since this was a week after that time he jumped out so his pectorals have messed up edges. I'm trying to think of a way I can cover the back so I can have one. Only bad thing is I'll have to buy crickets and condition it to eat pellets and flakes.

#31 ·
Mine was just shades of brown when I first got him, a week after he jumped out his colors got really beautiful for some reason(that's why I took the pic) and stayed that way. He was metallic gold with a bit of red in his fins and really dark to light shades of brown plus a little olive brown. So pretty :) He also let me hand feed him and whenever he saw he he would swim over to see if I had food lol.

#33 ·
You have to feed them live crickets at first, then you want to get him to take the crickets out of your hand. Once they're being hand fed transfer to freeze dried foods but still include some crickets, hand-feed both so other fish don't get them.

Once I had mine eating freeze dried it was easy to get him on flakes, I would put a little freeze foods on the surface with some flakes and once he realized it was food he was a great eater. I still bought him a cricket once in a while and would he got any both I found in the house.

#38 ·
I dip it in the water a little, they have a blind spot straight foreword so it's good to hold the food off to a angle. Sometimes I would wiggle the food on the surface to get them interested but once they know your fingers mean food they are super eager, they'll even bite your hand once when you don't have food lol

They're incredibly fast when they lunge for food, the only hard part is holding the food loose enough that they can snatch it out of your hand without missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.