Betta Fish Forum banner

What plants do you have?

9K views 84 replies 22 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 · (Edited)
As opposed to hoarding bettas... I've gotten into a terrible habit of hoarding plants.

The plants I have are as follows (dont really know names for all of them.)

Brazillian Pennywort
Sunset Hygro
Fanwort
Cabomba
Crypt small one (I think?!)
Crypt (red one)
Crypt (giant one)
Glosso
Dwarf baby tears
Baby tears
Rotala rountifolia
Chistmas moss
Flame moss
Java moss
Fissidens
Susswassertang
Banana Lily
Tiger Lily
Nesaea pedicelleta
Riccia
Naja Grass
Micro sword
Anubisa coffee something or rather
Anubias nana
Anubias nana petite
Java Fern ... trident
Java fern Needle leaf
Dwarf pennywort ( I think)
Salvinia
Duckweed
Frogbit
Dwarf water lettuce
Water wisteria

I think that's it :D

Most of these I only have a tiny bit of. LOL
Next on my list... is a bit of elatine triandra

oh.. do marimo moss balls count...?

See less See more
#2 ·
I collect a lot of my plants from public waterways, I have so many different kinds. My favorites are: Red tiger lotus, Rotala indica, amazon sword, any kind of Cabomba, Cryptocoryne beckettii, melon sword, Eriocaulon setaceum, Java fern, narrow leaf java fern, parrot feather, water spangles, najas guppy grass, lots of annubis.

#4 ·
Big list aokashi! But I'm not entirely surprised, I bet they're all flourishing. I have the following:

alternanthera rosaefolia
anubias nana
cryptocoryne beckettii
cryptocoryne nevelli
cryptocoryne undalatus green
cryptocoryne willisi
elodea densa (anarcharis)
hygrophila difformis
hygrophila rosae Australis
lemna minor (duckweed)
fontinalis antipyretica (willow moss)
limnophila heterophylia
microsorum pteropus (java fern)
phyllanthus fluitans
rotala rotundifolia
salvinia natans
Süsswassertang
Utricularia gibba
vallisneris spiralis
vallisneris torta
vesicularia dubyana (java moss)

And loads of other non-aquatic plants :-D

#10 ·
Hey. Don't forget about all of that hornwort I gave you a while back for a female. You might not have been there Alex but I traded A whole lotta plants for a Blue Dragon female that I still have with Rachel. How's the hornwort doing now?

Yeah. Spring sounds way better to me... I hate the cold and I doubt there will be a lot of plants

#12 ·
I have the following in a npt:
- water wisteria
- moneywort
- anubias
- dwarf hairgrass
- java fern
- 2 other unidentified plants lol XD I was wondering oif any one has java moss or any other kind of moss they would be able to sell / give to me.

#13 ·
I just got some Duck Weed but I don't think it is doing well. I also have:

Java Moss
Java Fern
Water Wisteria
Anacharis
Round Leaf Anubias

I think the Java Moss and Java Fern are doing okay. No growth yet that I can tell but they are not dying. The Water Wisteria and Anacharis look like they are doing well. I think my Round Leaf Anubiasis dying though...

I have a very low tech set up in a 5.5 gravel tank. I have a 6500 bulb and I add Leaf Zone once a week. I really love the look of planted tanks so I hope mine does well. Bradbury seems to like it.

#14 ·
Really wish I had more space for more plants, but in my 10 gal I have:

Java Moss (on some driftwood)
Java Fern
Hornwort
Crypt Wendtii (I think red)
Anubias Frazeri
Dwarf Sagittaria

#62 ·
Really wish I had more space for more plants, but in my 10 gal I have:

Java Moss (on some driftwood)
Java Fern
Hornwort
Crypt Wendtii (I think red)
Anubias Frazeri
Dwarf Sagittaria
About a week or two ago I added some more Java Moss, more Sagittaria, some Frogbit, and some Crystalwort which I just have floating at the top for now.

#16 · (Edited)
In the 20G:
cabomba
green foxtail
java moss
bacopa carolina
amazon sword
some random floating things - duckweed??
dwarf lilly
anubias
water sprite or wysteria - not sure but it has grown alot recently
somethng german sounding - seaweed like thing

I had some others but they went all gooey
Giant hygro?
anacharis
pogo erectus

The foxtails, dwarf lilly and water sprite thing do the best. Amazon sword and anubias also do well. The bacopa carolina - i find it floating every day. I think my snails knock it out of the sand

I want something to carpet the bottom...but i need something that is easy and not a high light plant

#22 ·
Yeah I love my dwarf Saggitaria, it looks great around my rock cave and it grows fast. My hornwort grows like its going out of style, I need to trim it like every other day.

#21 ·
:) There are many plants that are low- med light.
Crypts propagate fairly quickly. And are low-med light. They also look pretty.
Anubias and Javafern and Java moss grows slowwwww but are also lowlight
Brazillian pennywort can be fairly pretty and add some variation.
Tiger lilies banana lilies are great too.
Rotala and some stem plants ...
Naja grass, Hornwort, fanwort, Elodea do pretty well :)
the list goes on....

#20 ·
I have some low-light plants in a NPT.

-water wisteria
-moneywort
-hornwort

#24 ·
Clearly I fail at dwarf sag. I have it in Exo complete since July and only 3 new leaves since then.

#25 ·
Mine for now:

Brazillian Pennywort

Chistmas moss
Flame moss
Java moss (just gave away half only in 2.5)
Fissidens (almost half dead)
Susswassertang (in QT)

Naja Grass (tiny bit)
Hornwort (tiny bit)
Myrio (tiny bit)

Java Fern ... trident
Java fern
Philippine fern (represent!)

Salvinia
Duckweed (only in 2.5 I grow it for the foster goldfish at workplace)
Frogbit
Dwarf water lettuce
Water wisteria
Asian water grass

Broadleaf water wisteria

Water sprite

And red root floaters en route to me now.

I have some stem plants in my Mason jar that I think parrot's feather and a rotala? I don't know the names of and 4 riparium plants

Bacopa moniere
Althernera Josephs's coat
Aluminum plant
Dwarf ruellia (like a nano palm tree!)

I have spent waaaaaaay more on plants than bettas!

I killed mini pellia.
also

marimo moss ball
And two small rhizome plants that I assume are Anubias of some kind -- they were freebies.

#29 ·
We could do a trade when I get some babies!

#32 ·
I am interested in a crypt and an Anubias and is the needle fern the one that looks like lace?

#34 ·
wow theres so much choice but my local store only stocks the same 5 plants usually so may have to branch out to get some more.

All mine are green as well so which would add some viberant colour to the tank to give it more appeal.

Theres a lot to take in with learning all the correct names...... they arnt labelled well at the store either just coded so i cant get names from the staff -_-

#35 ·
I either got the plants from members here or I ordered it online. Not much selection locally - sometimes I find an actual aquatic plant in a tube at petco but even then - its usually dead or dying.

i do suggest dwarf saggitaria. micro swords also do well if your lightin is good enough. usually carpeting plants need co2 and highlight considerations, otherwise they wont carpet and will grow upwards instead.
would liquid Co2 work? I have a bottle of that and a bottle of API leaf something and a small bottle of Aqueon's plant nutrient stuff.

Lighting is a basic T8. Is there a better bulb to get? I don't want to buy a new or expensive light strip and I know zoo med has a bunch of different tube lights but I dont know if they are for reef tanks or what. ALso I am not sure of they work with the aqueon light strip I have (current bulb has 2 prongs if that means anything)
...lighting confuses me

#36 ·
To add CO2 to my 10gal tank I use one of the Nutrafin Natural Plant System kits. It's basically a canister that you put sugar, water and two different packets the kit comes with. The canister hooks up to a bubble-holder with some tubing and the bubbles hang out in it inside the tank. I believe you can just buy some yeast and some other ingredient from the grocery store to refill the canisters monthly instead of buying the packet refills from Nutrafin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.