Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeding impatience

5K views 164 replies 18 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
Hey guys
SO, most of you know how I got the female to mate with my male Leon. anyways, I got her today in the mail and she is very very pretty. She has the white breeding dot and somewhat vertical stripes (dont really know what they are), but I know she is ready to breed. Most of you said wait a little while before I breed her, but I am getting really impatient and I want to put her in the spawning tank. She seems just as healthy as my male, and I know the seller took very good care of her and got her ready for breeding. Is it alright if I put her in the spawning tank like this weekend?

#2 ·
no.

#3 ·
shes just been through the stress of shipping, she may look healthy but the stripes are probably from stress. be reasonable, breeding takes a LOT out of your fish would you like to spend all the money getting her to you toss her in and have her die?
Two weeks AT YOUR PLACE for conditioning then at least three days next to each other (still seperate) before you put them together

#5 ·
you can leave them or move them, id say move them (less stress) you need to think it through properly before leaping into it.other wise your just pouring your money down the drain

#6 ·
i just wanted to see what they would do and they are going nuts, they really want to mate. is it too late to take her away? i just wanted to give Leon and incentive on building a bubble nest because hes been lazy and doing nothing lately. will he build his nest if i take her away? she really seems healthy, she wont die. the seller i bought it from took very good care of her before he sent. and she only spent 2 days inside a box, no big deal...

#8 ·
hey in the end you dont need to listen to advice from anyone you want to risk either not being ready go for it. my male flares at everything even the snails so he could just be being territorial.

#9 ·
no im pretty sure he really liked that female
but i took her out because i think she was a bit stressed i guess and i figured it would be better if i had waited. i will put her in this weekend i think depending on how i think she is. im setting up the food now and it should be ready by tomorrow. hatching baby brine shrimp in an automatic feeder. hopefully i didnt depress them too much taking them out from eachother. my male really misses her and the femael is just moping around. this is better than them being so active at eachother right?

#10 ·
im sorry but im not going to add anymore because i would come across as rude. good luckto your fish

#11 ·
yeah ummm, I think youre getting "they like eachother" mixed up with "They wanna kill eachother" lol
Like what Abby said "Two weeks AT YOUR PLACE for conditioning then at least three days next to each other (still seperate) before you put them together" is probably your best option...unless you want your female turned into betta food..

#14 ·
oh i think you guys are getting mixed up. i have a glass vase inside the spawning tank. when i put the female in, my male was flaring his fins like crazy and swimming around like crazy. then he'd come up to her and flare his fins at her. its exactly what i saw in the breeding betta videos. but yeah i seperated them now and im not gonna add them for another 2 weeks or so just to make sure she is good and rested. but the way he shipped her was amazing, she had plenty of warmth and it only took 2 days. please add to your postings, i spent good money on her and i dont want her dying. but yeah, i didnt put her directly into the spawning tank like you guys thought. i had her safe in teh glass jar. they were just going really crazy because my betta has been lonely forever.

#15 ·
yeah he seemed really aggressive when he was flaring his fins, thats just because he was lonely forever. if he attacked her too hard when i released her in a few days i would definately take her out. but i dont think they would kill each other fast enough for me to not catch her.

#16 ·
no if u release the female and both are not ready she could get REALLY hurt

#18 ·
i know if they arent ready and i put them together she will get really hurt. but she already has the white egg on her pelvis, and shes already standing on her head. im gonna wait til the male makes his bubble nest and release her. the seller said she is ready to breed and it does look like she is. if he hurts her too much i will definately take her out trust me.

#20 ·
im sorry but someone has to say it. your.......i cant even bring my self to insult your intelligence.... you ASKED for advice your GETTING advice yet your just going to do your own thing anyway. what is the point of asking then going against all the advice.

#21 ·
What is your breeding set up like? I think someone asked that but you may have missed that question. Also what foods do you have prepared?

In my humble opinion, I don't think your necessarily ready to breed at all. You said in your first post you didn't even know what vertical stripes on a female meant. If you don't have a basic understanding of betta body language how do you intend to know how the spawn is going? How will you know when the female is actually stressed out and when she is just exhibiting normal spawning behavior?

Also.. you seem under the impression that your male is lonely. Your male is not lonely, he does not need a "girl friend" or any other fish to be happy. All he needs is clean water and good food to be happy. If your betta is acting sluggish and seems "lonely" that could be an indicator that he is not as healthy as he should be. Bettas are incapable of feeling lonely or depressed or missing other fish. They do not have the mental faculties for those emotions.. plain and simple.

I'd like to mention also that it is perfectly fine to spawn fish within a couple days after being shipped IF they are well conditioned and not stressed. I've spawned fish soon after getting them with no trouble whatsoever. HOWEVER... in this case I don't believe you are actually ready to breed. I'd still like to hear more about your set up first.

#22 ·
my setup is a 10 gallon tank with about 7-8 inches of almond leaf conditioned water. i have an almond leaf as a bubblenest maker and a few amazon sword plants for hiding, and a bunch of frogbit for the fry to hide in. i have a glass jar vase to act as the female barrier between the male. sponge filter dual sponges with an air pump. also have my baby brine shrimp auto feeder attached to the air pump to feed the fry. have a 78 tropical sun light for lighting. a few pvc pipes for the fry/female to hide in, etc.

#24 ·
is this your only tank?

#26 ·
you need three tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.