Betta Fish Forum banner

Fish feeding

962 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
We seem to be having a dispute at my house about feeding our new bettas. My sis and i just recieved two new bettas and put them in a plastic betta bowl. Its not bbeing filtered (if that matters) and we dont exactly know there feeding routine...

we know that over feeding them can cause death of fish

The cup they were stored in said 2-3 times a week, but did not specify the amount other than it said "DO NOT OVERFEED"

The food packets that came with the bowl said 1-3 pellets 2-3 times a day

and the bowl instructions said the same thing but it said remove any un-eaten food after a few minutes so it wont rot.From reading this what i understand is as long as they eat all of the food, you good...

but the lady at the store said once a week...

can you help us with this problem?

also is there any advice about this breed of fish

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to FishForum. Most people feed their bettas 2-3 pellets twice a day.Never listen to advise from petstore people. They don't know what they are talking about most of the time. I don't know what size your bowls are but 1/2 to 2 gallons should be changed 1-2 times a week. Always use water conditioner to take out chlorine and chloramine in the water. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. :)

#4 ·
Yes only when you change it or if you need to add some due to evaporation. Basically anytime you use tap water just put this in the tap water first.

#5 ·
mmmmk,

also, and i know this is a stupid question

i really want to get some decorations, like a little skull hut for him (george) to go into, is this breed sensitive to "intruders", i know they are an aggressive breed, but he hasnt flared his gills at all

its a halve gallon bowl, and i allready got some fake plants in there with some glass rocks

#6 ·
Silk plants are best because they won't catch on his fins and tear them.You don't have enough room for tankmates in a half gallon. If you upgrade to a 10 gallon then yes, you can add some tankmates. Bettas are solitary fish and really have no need for tankmates.

#8 ·
I wouldnt reccomend it. He would be fine with the intrusion it wouldnt make him flare out or anything but like drama said, in a 1/2g bowl hes going to need all the swimming room he can get, if you upgrade to a 10g ( they are only $10 at Petco) you can get hime all the decor you want :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.