Betta Fish Forum banner

Female CT turns out to be male...

576 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  vilmarisv 
#1 ·
The kids and I just got back from our July vacation. During our trip, my husband took care of our two 10 gal tanks... and things happened.
First, Blackbeard our supposedly female CT turns out to be male as it seems. The fins have really grown out. Was the bossy behavior within the sorority an early indicator of this? Blackbeard seems to have killed our two female VTs, Sparkly Rose and Violet... (RIP).:-( My husband found them dead about a week ago in the morning with extensive fin damage and body parts missing. Up to that point there was only chasing around going on and the VTs were doing fine eating. Quite a blow.
Second, the house of our Black Mystery snail Captain Booty is empty. :cry: My husband has no idea when or how that happened. He was in the tank with our male VT Cherry and 5 Neons. This is also the tank that has now about 10 little black Mystery Snails that came in as blind passengers on the Java Moos on Coconut plant. Do Neon Tetras scavenge?

Now I am thinking of dividing one of the 10 gal tanks to make it the home of Cherry and Blackbeard. Afterwards I will have to think about restocking the sorority, but I am weary now about the labeling of the young Bettas in the store (Petco). Or should I leave Blackbeard with Jolly Roger (the supposedly other female CT) in the sorority tank, including divider?
How long does it take for a Betta to mature fully? Just to be on the safe site in the future.
Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, I'm sorry that happened. I've read of instances like this before on this forum where misgendered bettas have wreaked such havoc.

It shouldn't matter how you partner your bettas in the divided tanks as long as they're all kept individually (obviously). I should note, however, that people have noticed differences in their betta's behavior in response to who they were housed next to in a divided tank. So, if Blackbeard seems to be acting awkwardly when placed next to Cherry, or vice versa, you might swap one for Jolly Roger, and so on. Another solution would be to crowd the divider with plants, or other decoration; or buy one that is as non-transparent as possible.

I'm afraid I don't know how long it takes for a betta to reach maturity, however, if you're ever curious about the sex of your fish I'm sure a number of members here would be more than happy to assist you if you posted a picture. There are several tell-tale signs.

Better luck in the future.

#3 ·
It is quite possible that your female is actually a female and not a male. I recently got a new female that flares her gills like a male, makes bubblenests and has an ovipositor and apparently shes a she lol.

I have seen a post on this forum where someone has crammed java moss between two dividers which makes it impossible for the bettas to see each other and it shouldn't make too much of a mess in your tank since it will be behind mesh :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.