Betta Fish Forum banner

figaro's move to college

740 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Meatpuppet 
#1 ·
I have had my betta fish, Figaro, for a year and a half. To the best of my knowledge he has been happy and active for all that time. I kept him in a regular fish bowl with no filtration or heating system, with a floating plant, a stable plant, a "cave", and marbles on the bottom. We feed him every morning with pellets and wash his tank once a week.

I recently moved to college which caused Figaro to have to be moved into a new home, about half a gallon smaller, but with the same decorations and food. Figaro just seems sad. He frequents the top of the bowl, just lying there until I feed him.

Is he just getting used to his new environment? Is he dying because I put too much stress on him? Please help, he is my best friend, sadly enough.

#2 ·
what is the size of your tank? 2.5 gallons is the minimum recommended size.
do you know the water parameters?

when you change the water, depending on the size of the tank, you would change a certain amount of water Never all of it. with a gold fish bowl you could be changing 50% of the water twice a week. and if you see waste at the bottom of your bowl you could just suck that up with a turkey baster.

and i also reccomend a heater (5 watts per gallon). bettas are tropical fish that need 78 degree water constantly if not they will be slow and lethargic and prone to illnesses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.