Betta Fish Forum banner

in a 30 gallon tank?????

2K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  frogipoi 
#1 ·
in a 30 gallon long tank, how many bettas can be housed?

#2 ·
males or females?

#3 ·
If you're talking about males:

5 bettas for 6 gallons ea.
6 bettas for 5 gallons ea.
7 bettas for about 4.25 gallons ea.
8 bettas for 3.75 gallons ea.
9 bettas for 3.333... gallons ea.
10 bettas for 3 gallons ea.
11 bettas for about 2.75 gallons ea.
12 bettas for 2.5 gallons ea.
13 bettas for about 2.3 gallons ea.
14 bettas for about 2.15 gallons ea.
15 bettas for 2 gallons ea.

So you can keep 1-15 bettas in a 30 gallon, though 12 would probably be better than 15. I didn't think you'd want to keep less than 5 bettas in such a big tank-the more bettas the better!-so I didn't put those numbers in. I have no idea about females.

#5 ·
ohh okay cool up to 15 male bettas thats a lot i was talking about males. thanks guys and what about females? in a sorority?

#6 ·
Oh, sorry - thought you were talking about females!!!

As far as I know, you can NOT keep males together - unless divided, of course!

Sorry about the confusion!!!

Personally, I would keep females in that tank. With all the color they come in now they are like little jewels swimming around - at least that is how I see my "Princess" tank! :)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do with it!!!

#8 ·
Well, like I said, when I researched about an all female tank it recommended 2 gals. per fish. I am understocked at 9 fish, but maybe not with the gravel, plants, etc. displacing water. :)

If interested, here is where I got the majority of my girls:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&84elmo2001

And his wife:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?disp&viewseller&M1247m

If you get in touch with them & tell them you are interested in purchasing a certain number of girls, they will work with you to make a deal.

I am VERY happy with ALL the fish I have ever gotten from them - male bettas, female bettas & freshwater angels.

#12 ·
To house females, you need lots and lots of hiding places. Always a minimum of six, and if they don't work out. You will need to be able to separate them.

#15 ·
of course i understand this. i know the basics. i want to go above and beyond like up to 20 females in at least a 55 gal or a little lower. also i know that i will need lots of caves live and fake plants:)

#13 ·
JadeBetta has a valid point, even though the tank CAN sustain a high number of bettas--keep in mind that you will constantly have to be checking each betta for injuries or signs of weakness, and any that do not play nice will have to be removed and housed permanently in another tank. Sometimes this means you have to remove multiple females. Do not get so many females that you won't be able to house them all separately if things don't go as planned.

Keeping a sorority is only for experienced keepers that understand female betta behavior, and should be thoroughly researched before attempted.

#17 ·
yes i understand. but i feel i should do my own observations and try it out. (i dont mean to offend u or be 'ignorant',) but i feel like i know my females really well and i want to attempt it. but dont worry im going to be doing research. anyway im not doing it any time soon it was just an idea. yes i will have to keep checking on my bettas but that YOU DEFINITELY WONT AT ALL NEED TO WORRY ABOUT ME CHECKING ON THEM. im consistently just looking at my jewels for hours a day:)....also i have many suitable homes for the "meanies" lol.

another thing is i kinda take that offending when you say "keeping a sorority is "only" for experienced keepers that understand female behavior"

i only see it as an insult because that "is true" but its "not true" also, only because you could be have the most basic knowledge of females such as, "they are territorial" and you can run the most successful sorority in wherever and make very minimum mistakes. then even if you do a BUNCH of research, you never know if it is false research or not. and you could make more mistakes tand you would have with the basics or vise versa.

i understand what you mean and i personally think that you are totally right.

(if i did insult you in any way at all tell me and i will correct because those were not my intentions)

yes you have very good logic of looking at things in diff. perspectives but there is other ways too. do you understand what i mean?

#16 · (Edited)
You realize that out of 20 bettas not all of them will work out. It's not really practical to do this because you will need to be able to check up on every fish at least twice a day and take out any that have sustained injury. Even if the injury is minor, it is instinctual for aggressive fish to pick off weakened individuals. I think that 20 females in a 55 would be very difficult to manage. At most, I might do half that. 10 females and a school or two of dither fish to distract the females. It would be much more practical.

I don't think Mizzle's suggestion is unreasonable and useless--30 gallons happen to be rather tall, unless yours has breeder dimensions, and this would leave the bettas with very little swimming space. It wouldn't be practical to divide, and if you did, you could only really do it 3-4 ways.

#18 ·
yes yes yes, im trying to get it through ppl. that i understand that i need more information and i intend on doing so. yes out of 20 bettas probably only five would work out but this would be MY experience will my sorority. yes i know that i will need to be able to check on my fish as many times as i feel i need to. i will need to check on them. yes and they do it because of many reasons not only because they are territorial. i am not a very busy person so i could manage them and have the time to analyse them. and even if i wont be able to manage lets say 20 females in a 55 gal then i will learn from my experience ands will try again untill it works for ME. i mean every betta is different RIGHT??? and how would we even know any thing about these fish and their behavior if someone didnt use their own experiences and acts. i feel that i could handle it and im going to try it but not soon. because of other reasons that will go off topic.

when you said "I think that 20 females in a 55 would be very difficult to manage." i dont mean to be "ignorant but personally that is ONLY YOUR opinion and i know that im asking it but i think that it wouldn't be that hard to manage. i could pull it off with my analysis's.

(read the above post)

"At most, I might do half that. 10 females and a school or two of dither fish to distract the females. It would be much more practical."

yes it would but i want to try the entire thing all 20 that i could find that
would actually work. and a school of dither fish????:-?:-? wat is that? any way a school to distract the female would work a lot too

wat is a dither fish??

#21 ·
What are the dimensions? The ones I gave were for a regular, not a long. So 15 bettas next to each other might work.

#22 ·
yea about that:) i have noo idea. but yes its a long one but im thinking about not even buying it anymore i found a better deal i think:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.