Betta Fish Forum banner

Teal marble dragon HMPK x Blue PK/HMPK...second try

5K views 37 replies 5 participants last post by  Learn To Fly 
#1 ·
I'm starting a new spawn log for my AB pair because I completely changed my plans, so here are the new ones.

Tank:
-4 or 5 gallons, filled halfway
-Stuffed with live plants
-DIY sponge filter will be bubbling very gently
-heater and light of course are there as well

Pair:
-same as my other thread :roll:

Conditioning:
-Feeding frozen bloodworms and pellets if they'll eat them (only the male has so far)
-Both go into the tank tomorrow
-Female is in a mesh box and the male is loose
I'm using MrVamp's way of conditioning

Etc. :
-Nest "anchor" is a lid
-The light and tank are covered in plastic wrap to keep moisture and some heat in

Hopefully the second time around they can do this ;-)

Technology

Aquarium Filter Plant Freshwater aquarium Glass

Glass

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't use plastic wrap on my tubs. The lids fit tightly enough but if you don't have a lid then that works. Even a small light shows through the white lid.

Anyway I hope my pairs brother and my frys uncle gets to work this time XD

Also, how'd you make that box?

#5 ·
Mr.vamp-my lid is blue, and it's more convenient for me with plastic wrap.
Yeah lol I'm doing a temp shock and new surroundings so hopefully all will be well this time.

The mesh box is just pieces cut out and then zip tied together-there are two 4" x 5" pieces, two 3" x 5" pieces and the bottom is 3" x 4". It's very simple to make. I can give you more detailed instructions if you want lol

bettalover-I'll be putting them in later tonight so I'll take pics then.

and wallywest, thanks! I hope they will too.

#7 ·
Haha I just put them in and they are a little bit confused right now. I'll take pics in a little bit (30 minutes?)

#9 ·
They were like "what's going on? Where am I? Whathuh whathuh?
Lol.

My camera ran out of batteries as I was taking pics so you'll see them when I can upload lol.

#11 ·
Haha yes lol. No bubblenest yet, he's still just hanging around her but doing nothing. She's ignoring him too. Sighs...

#13 ·
Lol...unfortunately I don't think there's room on my desk for even a candle now XD

#14 ·
Is there salt in the water? My pairs never pay attention to each other when there's salt.

Anyway, it took my pair 3 days. They were introduced Thursday, flared all day Friday...there was no nest under the cup so I replaced it with a lid. Later that night there was a nest and the next day she jumped :)

#15 ·
No, no salt. There was salt in their temporary tanks that they were in yesterday/earlier today though.

The male can actually swim under the mesh box (it's at an angle) and he is hanging out there a lot. He'll probably start flaring tomorrow. He's got a lid to work with, too. My female could jump out if she wants and I'm half hoping she does and things happen like yours lol.

#16 ·
Mine went perfect. Keep in mind I stuffed my pair with Hikari pellets (the female, the male won't even touch something unless it's frozen...I blame the_K for raising him on live blackworms XD) and frozen bloodworms. By Saturday she was lookin eggy and then WAM! A spawn.

#17 ·
Lol I stuffed them with frozen bloodworms tonight, and will keep doing so. It's just the opposite with mine-only the male will eat pellets. Lol!

#18 ·
Wow, that's interesting because I only feed mine when I feel he's hungry because it's too much work to try and feed him pellets and it takes me at least 10 minuets to actually get a piece and then feed him 4-5 and then go around the house putting them in my tanks, jars and my dads tanks. So yeah he goes hungry for about 2 days :p

#19 ·
Lol I normally feed only at night and I probably won't stuff him as much. All my fish are in my room so it's easy and I've only got seven...so far! Plus all my others eat pellets so it's convenient and easy.

They may not get fed tomorrow, or just the female. I'll see if they look hungry lol. They might still be stuffed.

#20 ·
Well when I turned out the light he started flaring at her. Maybe he likes the lights off??

#22 ·
I once read an article that SOME bettas rather spawn at night or when the lights are off then when they are on. but once you see them embracing your supposed to turn the lights on so the male can see where the eggs are.

#21 ·
The darker the better. Be sure they can see each other though.

#23 ·
Hmm it's something I never seemed to notice when I was reading about breeding. Maybe I'll put the lid on and put the light over it.

EDIT: pics coming in a second. And no bubblenest yet.

#24 ·
Yea i read it from an article from some one in Malasia and Thialand And a few in California.

Also If you really think about it, in thialand ponds are not very clear and they are usually filled with floating plants that sometimes cover the sunlight in the pond so it makes sense why.

#25 ·
Well I put the lid on and now the light is very faint and blue-ish. Much better! And pics from yesterday:

The male:
Fish Fish Organism

Water Fish Fish Organism Tail

Green Water Organism Fish Fish

The female:
Mesh Net Bird feeder

Architecture Mesh Glass

Where the male had white scales, they turned blue instead of teal. You can see he still has a very few white scales left on top of his head and around his eyes. Sorry for the big pics :oops:

#26 ·
He looks so much like his sister!

#27 ·
Lol not when he's flaring I bet :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.