Betta Fish Forum banner

Stress stripes

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  FishyFriend1 
#1 ·
well, the time has come to admit that my fish. is bloated. He also has a dark stress stripe on his body. how on earth do i rid of this?

I am fasting him for a few days.

#3 ·
Can you post a pic

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, additives used, filtration, live plants, water temp...how has his behavior changed or symptoms, appetite, what kind and how much/how often food/feeding....how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and if so, diagnosis and treatment....

#4 ·
okay, i will try for a pic soon.

5 gallon marineland hex with 65% water changes weekly.(only adding conditioner) No filter but one is avalible just not installed...... tank always at a steady 78 degrees. Silk plants.

eats like a pig. ( 2 pellets per feeding with 2 feedings per day)

I have had him since October. I think that he is fairly young.

#5 ·
Stripe are not always a sign of stress, sometimes they are used for communication, cammo etc.....not just as an indication of stress...with that said.....if he is acting his normal self and pooping and eating well....it may just be a big tummy from eating and not really bloat per se and not anything to worry about.....

In a 5gal without filtration I would recommend twice weekly 50% water changes and 1-100% monthly at the very least to maintain water quality....

Look forward to the pics....

#10 ·
I agree.... they don't and often you can find that diamond in the rough right at your local fish shop.....just because it cost more doesn't always make them better.....and often you don't know anymore about their history from aquabid fish than the local pet shop fish either......

So don't let anyone tell you that your Betta isn't special or perfect just because you got them locally......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.