Betta Fish Forum banner

Preventing siphon accidents during water change

718 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jorjor2 
#1 ·
I bought a siphon I've never used one before. I had fish tank years ago(not bettas) when I changed the water I always did 100% changes and rinsed the gravel. I used a pond pump to empty and stuck my fish in another container. I gather that is not the thing to do. I read that it's best to leave your fish in the tank while doing the partial change. However, I read on fish emergencies that some sucked up their betta into the siphon and it severely injured the fish. Some I am wondering if I could put cheese cloth with a rubber band over the siphon and still get a clean tank or somehow add protection to prevent this. It should not happen as I made sure to locate both of my tanks next to a sink (bathroom and kitchen) so water changes would be very easy.

#3 ·
I am not sure if covering the siphon will accomplish the original intent of vacuuming the substrate to remove left over food and excretion.

If this is strictly for removing water, yes, I guess covering it will work. But you can use a $0.25 Solo cup to do the job of water removal assuming your tank is <10g?

If this is for cleaning purposes, I'd say use a mesh with the largest size opening possible to cover the siphon. You can get it in a craft store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.