Betta Fish Forum banner

Looking for a decent 3gal heater...

434 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BeansJDS 
#1 ·
If I have to, I will buy a 25w or 50w sized heater and keep it turned down, like I have for my Evolve 4. The temp on my evolve 4 stays at a constant 79 to 80 degrees, even in my well heated in winter, well ac'ed in the summer office.

I tried an Aqueon Mini 10w heater again, on my new 3gal betta tank for at home. But this is just is not working for me at all. Without it on, my temps flucuate all over the place due to the air temp. With it on, it easily gets up to 85 and climbing no matter what.

If I have to buy another $30 heater for a small tank then so be it. But if anyone have any other suggestions, that would be great.

FYI, this Aqueon Mini 10 may be fine for say a 5 gal to 8 gal, but no good for anything under 5 IMHO.

#3 ·
The Hydor Theo 25 watt is just under $18 on Amazon.

Works great in my 1 gallon and my 3 gallon.

#7 ·
I find that sometimes the glass vs acrylic tanks have different reactions to the heaters too. Same heater in my glass tank does different in my acrylic. If I have a covered acrylic tank even with a low grade heater it heats up fast vs my glass ones with more room for airflow instead of a tight cover seem to hold the temp better and be more consistent. Right now, I am trying to uncover the acrylic tank with the heater on with a craft mesh lid I lay on top to be sure my bettas don't end up outside their tank!

A funny story too, I put the Top Fin floating glass thermometer in my 5gallon tank with a royal blue crown tail betta because his heater works well but I don't like the sticker thermometer and so I upgraded. Anyway, the Top Fin floating glass thermometer I bought has a black suction cup attachment instead of clear. Wow, my daughter's betta was soooooo angry. He attacked it again and again and raced toward it, jumped on it, and was flairing the whole time. I took it out, replaced with one that is a clear suction attachment and he is fine.... boy, don't mess with King Harold! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.