Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #921 
Sadist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDublynn View Post
Glad I didn't decide to start with the 10, then lol. I lost quite a few of y plants, just having the wrong substrate and soft water, killed off a lot of my sword plants. I just upgraded all the planted tanks to the Eco-Complete, and some are SERIOUSLY springing back to life, the tank that's had the upgrade the longest has a lot of algae, even tho I control the time the lights are on and whathaveyou, but it just grows and grows and I really need some otos in there... guess I'll be picking up 8 otos, 4 for each side. I have SOOOO many veggies for them to eat that I can prepare all the time when the algae is gone.

Can't you have a snail in the 2.5? I know they have a large bioload, but I thought at 2.5 you could have one snail to eat up some algae.
Mrs. Fish is very aggressive with tank mates. I tried putting two shrimp in there, and she killed them after release while I had a blanket over the tank and lights off. I haven't tried a snail, thinking she might eat its feeler things off.
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #922 
FinnDublynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadist View Post
Mrs. Fish is very aggressive with tank mates. I tried putting two shrimp in there, and she killed them after release while I had a blanket over the tank and lights off. I haven't tried a snail, thinking she might eat its feeler things off.
Ick.. yeah. Probably better she stays alone lol. I have 4 other options for the otos if one of the boys gets too aggressive with them, so at least I have that. But if Mrs. Fish is that aggressive... a little algae is probably the best tank mate. lol
FinnDublynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #923 
Sadist

Fed everyone. It looks like the otos found the new lettuce or the current made some get caught under a java fern. They aren't eating it right now, so maybe it was just the filter. Mr. Fish seems to have stopped his aggressive, territorial displays towards them.

One of my new plantlets is losing a lot of leaves. I'm going to move it to an area with more light. The rest of them don't seem to be doing it, so I'm guessing it's the lighting situation.

I agree that Mrs. Fish will just have to live with her algae. There are just a few spots on some of the silk plants so far. That's how Mr. Fish's started, though. I'm going to cut a couple hours off of her light to see how it helps. The worst parts are ones facing the window, which lets indirect sunlight to her tank. I put some paper in front of the spotted leaf to see if that blocks enough light to it. I might get her a moss ball; I'm just afraid the light in there is too dim for one.
Sadist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #924 
FinnDublynn

From what I've heard... the moss balls need, like, nearly no light at all... That might have been because the person had fake ones lol. but That's what I've heard.
FinnDublynn is online now   Reply With Quote