Betta Fish Forum banner

How i clean my betta tank. is this ok?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  sugarunicorn 
#1 ·
So i have 2 bettas in a spilt 15 liter glass tank.
And cause the glass divider is glued in i cant remove it to do the vaccume cleaning, so what i have been doing is every saturday i do a 50%water change and i use my fish net to scoop out all my gravel, and boil it then put that back in. and then fill the tank back up, and on the 1st weekend of everymonth i do a full tank change. So ya just wondering what you think of how im going about my water changes.

#3 ·
the pic of the tank is in my profile, thats just how the tank was made, i didnt personally make the tank that way.
and my fish seem pretty happy in it ^.^

#7 ·
I did have a siphon but the tank was just to odd shaped i couldnt fit it in right to get the water flo right, so i ended up giving it to my cousin in law ( she is a budding fish keeper ^.^) and today my husband and i Just went out and bought HEAPS of new stuff for my 2 new bettas i bought off aquabid, and one of the things was a siphon with a pump on it so i can clean witout having to get that water flo b4 hand so ill start doing that more. thanks ^.^

#5 ·
Boiling the gravel will remove too much beneficial bacteria, so I'd just rinse or siphon it if I were you. Also, with a tank that's only 15 liters, I'd do slightly more frequent water changes (like a 50% water change every four days or so). But that's just me, and I'm not a pro.

#6 ·
I do 20% water changes every 2 days so that should be ok yea?
epically cause on of my bettas is still healing from having his top find completly ripped off.

#10 ·
Hmm you shouldn't add aquarium salt all the time, only when you're healing your Betta.

Everyone's talking about the bacteria and such, but since it's a 3 gallon I'm guessing it's not cycled? If you want to try and cycle it then you'll need only partial water changes and no washing off your gravel, but that's difficult in a small tank and requires a filter.

So, you really should get 2 seperate tanks. Bettas thrive in 2.5+ gallons each. You need to quarentine the male with his ripped dorsal and give him salt treatments and give the other Betta regular dechlorinated water.

#11 ·
Adding AQ salt all the time is a mixed subject i did my reserch and its 50/50 with betta owners some use it all the time some only do when needed, i have herd from people who have had the same betta for 5+years and she always uses salt, and same thing with people who dont. I dont want my fish to get sick , so i choose to put a pinch of AQ salt in with my water changes and my bettas seem fine :)
Really depends on the perferance, if my bettas looked stressed depressed ect i would take out salt and see what happend, but that hasnt happend yet so guess we shall see. As for the seprate tanks, i have just bought 2 fish off aquabid and have spend over 100$ on 2 10liter tank with heaters, and im pretty buck broke after all that. my husband plans on taking down that glass divider in my bettas current tank and making it one big tank and getting another seprate tank down the line, but yea just not ideal to get anymore tank ect atm. As i said my bettas seem very happy in there tank and thats what matters, ^.^ but i really do appreicate your imput

#12 ·
I have a quick question. For the silk plants and whatnot that are in the tank, should I take those out and clean them or just leave them in the tank when vacuuming out the gravel?
Right now one of my bettas are in a quarantine tank to fix his fin rot and I changed his old tank's water 100% to make sure none of the bacteria is floating around.

#13 ·
Salt should not be used other than to treat disease. It is not a preventative measure. Overexposure can harm and potentially kill bettas, as they are not saltwater fish. A pinch of aquarium salt might seem tempting, but trust me on this, you're not doing any good by adding it in with healthy fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.