Betta Fish Forum banner

So angry I could cry

590 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  bahamut285 
#1 ·
It's not even the death of a fish.

It's that I just broke a piece of my thermometer while using it to help clean the filter, as I always do, and the red liquid went everywhere. including the filter pieces.

Meaning, my filter is in the garbage now because I can't imagine it being remotely close to usable again.

It was one of the best filters I've ever had/used, and I've recommended it to everyone. My fish were great with it, and it was perfect enough it didn't need to be baffled. And now, I need to do a re-cycle

So thank you filter, for helping for so long :<

#4 ·
thankfully, I did it in another room, so no, no fishes were caught up in this.
I however, reek of it, and I'm getting naseous just sitting here.

I still have al 3 tanks to clean up, but I can;t get up without the smell hitting me :(

#5 ·
Take a bath quickly scrub yourself really good!

The stuff in thermometers can and will cause bad things to happen.

Don't want to scare you, but honestly you should really scrub yourself like no tomorrow.

#6 ·
I dropped one of my thermometers (I am a serial thermometer killer) and broke it open on my carpet and bed. It absolutely stunk. I seriously thought something was burning as it had this really strong chemical smell.

However, a bit of googling suggests that the dyed liquid is usually only be alcohol rather than something like mercury.

Therefore, you may not have to chuck the filter out, but just give it a good go over with something like diluted bleach or another sanitiser.

#8 ·
The thermometer probably contains an alcohol. I don't know what red dye was, but it would have to be something soluble in alcohol. :) (Mercury isn't used anymore, due to its toxicity.)

You should be able to wash everything off with water. Try soaking the filter in water.

If that doesn't work, use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). ("Like dissolves like," so isopropyl alcohol will be good at removing the thermometer alcohol and the dye used in it.)

Alcohol will kill the BB, but at least you'll still have the filter. Rinse with lots of water, then air dry. (Air drying will evaporate the alcohol.)

#16 · (Edited)
I broke a thermometer, it had balls of mercury in it!

Mercury is liquid at room temperature...they are just metal weights that are harmless

Other than the glass shards, the alcohol is fairly easy to clean up; most of it will evaporate on its own. I don't see why you had to throw the filter out?

#13 ·
Well, even if the filter can be saved, I think I'd rather just be on the safe side and get a new one. Thankfully, I still have water from the old tank so I have a cartridge in it. The filter only costs about $10, so I don't ming spending it on a new one.

Honestly, going through the garbage and finding it is the last thing I want to do. I finally got the smell off of me and I don't want to go back xD

EDIT: The liquid got on my clothes, not my skin, thankfully. I would've scrubbed to now tomorrow though! :)

#15 ·
A Q-tip would be intelligent..
Al isn't so much t-t

UGH I'm just so glad it didn't land in my eye.
I didn't realize how dangerous this was until now...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.