Betta Fish Forum banner

A question of water availability

Tags
filters water
810 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Xeek 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I had a quick question for you concerning water.

I'm going to my parents' house for the next two weeks, and because my roommates are forgetful about feeding pets, I'm taking Kuwabara with me. We'll be traveling in his little .5 gallon "tank", and due to the size of it, I'll have to change his water daily (as per your suggestions).

The issue I'm having is that the water at my parents' house is EXTREMELY ironated. We're talking you fill a glass from the tap, let it sit for 10 minutes, and your water is suddenly orange. They have a water softener and filter unit down in the basement, but it only helps so much. So they filled their Britta pitcher and use that for drinking water.

My question is: is water from a Britta filter safe for Bettas? I have Aqua Culture water treatment tablets that I use here at home on my tap water, so should I use them with the Britta treated water as well? I already have two gallon jugs filled with pre-treated water for the trip, but that obviously isn't going to last us the two weeks we'll be there!!

Any advice or suggestions will be tremendously helpful :)

See less See more
#2 ·
First suggestion, don't use parents tap water!

Second, I have no experience with britta systems, but I would test the water before using it. If they are as good as advertised it should be ok. I would however do only a 50% water change the first time to let your fish acclimate to the different water chemistry.

#3 ·
I think you might be better off going to walmart and buying a few jugs of that natural spring water. not distilled, spring. it will still have all the minerals etc and it is really cheap, and wont have the risk of that tap water. :D I think its like 1.38.

#5 ·
I've used filtered water before, I don't see why it would be a problem! It filters the water it doesn't add anything to it. I would be careful you may have to go through an acclimation process to that water if the pH is different, then again when you return home.

#6 ·
I did some lookup on water filters, but they are in PDF, so if you like I can email it to you. PUR is better than Britta, but ZeroWater filter might work best in your case in removing iron, lead, mercury, zinc. The rest you can use Prime or Amquel to remove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.