Betta Fish Forum banner

8.0+ ammonia readings????

1K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  Naladari 
#1 ·
I'm horrified, I get home test my tank ammo is alert says less than .02 ppm my liquid test says 8.0+
My fish are happy swinming corys are chasing each other.

What's the deal? With an 8.0 reading EVERYONE should be dead right?

I've heard about ammonium false positives but 8.0 makes no sense.

#2 ·
re test. something obviously went wrong. try again

#8 ·
It just doesn't make any sense! Change the water?

#11 · (Edited)
My tap tests at .5
I use amquel plus with stress coa+
My tank was at 82 ph before adding my driftwood and ials was 7.5 I assume it's a 6.8 or around that now.
My bigger shrimp newly added survived the day with their sensitivity I'm assuming I was around a .05 toxic ammonia.
After a 15% water change my NH3/NH4+ dropped to a .5 on my chart
Had to be ammonium throwing it off I can't think of any other reason it would be so high

Edit: also all my plants less my anacharis and water lettuce have doubled in size in a matter of 20 days
My banana plants tubers have doubled and now has 4 shoots that have hit the surface
There is no algae in my tank, literally none (my poor nerites have nothing to eat)
I assume this attributes to my prior low ammonia levels.
I'm going to get a 5g tomorrow for my desk, while I'm at my lfs I'll have a proper water test done. Until then you guys are all I've got (and for the most part your advice is better than theirs)

#12 · (Edited)
I have the Seachem ammonia alert too. It never changes color. I don't even look at it anymore, because I know it's going to be forever yellow.

Are you adding fertilizer? (I'm thinking you aren't, but I figured I'd ask.)

Does your kit include tests for nitrate and nitrite? If so, what are those readings?

If you go to the LFS tomorrow, can you ask them to give you specific numbers? (Sometimes, they'll just say "looks good," but knowing actual numbers can be helpful.)

#13 ·
I don't have nitrites or nitrate kits, I've been looking all over for a nitrite kit, I'm starting to believe a liquid nitrite kit doesn't exist.
I do add ferts liquid ferts half dose twice in 20 days.
I will def get some numbers tomorrow, I'm planning on getting 2 tests done, one at petco and the other at my lfs. (mostly cause I saw a beautiful hm plat-blue butterfly that I can't get my mind off of.)
Im still pretty certain that my ammonium is throwing it off, only explanation I can think of.

#15 · (Edited)
Im still pretty certain that my ammonium is throwing it off, only explanation I can think of.

That sounds very likely. 8ppm of ammonia is way past the lethal limit for fish... they would have likely all died in less than a day at that level. Since they didn't though, ammonium sounds likely.

They do sell a free ammonia (NH3) test kit. Seachem makes one, but I'm not sure if they are sold at the major pet chain stores. Another option for you...

#16 ·
Most lps use the test strips which went as accurate as the liquid test kit. Api has nitrITE and nitrATE test in the master test kit and sell them separate like the ammonia kit you have. The petcos and petsmart are really hut or miss on them having the refill packs. I actually got into a argument with a Petco fish person because they didn't have the liquid ammonia kit and he was telling me they are no good and a waste of money and to buy the 15 dollar strips. Yet another reason Petco doesn't get my business. The ammonia alert a believe test the free ammonia so you should be good. The amquel plus is doing what prime dose giving you a false reading. If memory serves me correctly there was a thread on amquel plus causing false ammonia readings on here a little ago

#17 · (Edited)
ammo alert tells you what levels of toxic ammonia is in your tank, the test kit doesn't differentiate...
The toxicity of Ammonia depends on many factors includin your tank PH, the lower the pH the less toxic the ammonia...that's why there is an "alarm" at 0.2ppm....because te actual ammonia is quite high.

I would suggest to do a large waterchange to eliminate all ammonia...

#19 ·
NitrATES are safe in low amounts. NitrATES will show up after the cycle is complete. The ammonia will first be turned into nitrITES in the cycle. Than the nitrITES will be turned into nitrATES when the cycle is complete

#26 ·
True but, correct me if im wrong, they still generally tell you if you have nitrites and nitrates.
So like if you have nitrates or nitrites you will generally get a reading.
I also am getting visible daily growth on my plants (my banana has grown 2 inches since Friday) which is also an indication of ites and Ates. I need to find the ite and ate kits, I regret not buyin the master kit :(

#30 ·
All my plants were from a cycled tank an I wasn't the brightest and I put them in without washing them. I got lucky it could have been a disaster all I ended up with we're 3 extra snails 1 mts 1 ramshorn 1 mystery.
Today I'm sitting at around .05 on my liquid test.

#32 ·
That is great you found those two tests as they can really tell when your tank is starting to cycle. First you well get some nitrites and about 2 weeks or less the nitrates should start to show up. I have a Banana plant too and they are fast growers so I am sure its using a lot of the ammonia , nitrite and nitrates as food. Good luck. keep testing and keep us updated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.