Betta Fish Forum banner

Travelling Tips??

451 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  KoriC 
#1 ·
So I will be moving back next week for summer vacation and I am taking Reg with me. I just wanted to know if I had a good solid plan for transporting him. It will be approximately a 3 to 4 hour trip (this includes a 2 hour ferry ride) and I have bought one of those small critter keepers to take him in (the measurements say it is approximately a gallon). My plan was to keep a thermometer in there with him, and either wrap the critter keeper in a towel and keep him on my lap or keep him in a little mini soft cooler I have. I will be taking him upstairs to the passenger deck with me when I am on the ferry since the car deck is open and will get very cold. I was also thinking of taking a container of water for in case of emergency. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I want to make it as smooth as possible for him.

#2 · (Edited)
Hmmm. I moved 2 tanks of tropical fish a few years ago, but it was across town, etc. Different thing. However, the cooler is a good idea as it will keep the water temp stable and dark (to keep the stress down). I use one here if I'm going to LFS in the summer to keep the water from simmering in the car (!) Works a charm. And a container of water in case of spills, leaks. All of that will be heavy, though. Maybe someone else can chime in about how full you should have your critter keeper to balance weight and comfort for the betta.

#3 ·
Just read this and I have to ask... since you're from Vancouver... are you a UVic student too?! :D
I'm taking a slightly different approach to transporting my bettas! I'm going to try to put them in those large pet store bags they came in with 2/10 water and 8/10 air so they'll hopefully be okay for a few hours! If you have those bags, that could work. You could also try going to a LFS around here for a few things then ask for the fish bags. All my fish will be in an insulated box on my lap so I can check on them :)

#5 ·
I am actually living in Vancouver for school (UBC) so I am heading back to nanaimo for the summer :) I have a lot of friends that go to UVIC though!! :) I really thought about the bag approach but I didn't want to risk getting stuck in a ferry line up (which can last for hours sometimes as you probably know! lol) and I know they are only supposed to be in the bag for a few hours. I just figured the keeper would be easier to take to the upper part of the ferry and then I can just have him sit on a table up there where it is warmer and he won't be rocked around so much. The driving part I have to do is actually really short...its mainly the ferry ride I am concerned about :S It sounds like the cooler would be the best approach. For padding should I just use some rolled up towels? How much of the keeper should be filled with water?

#7 · (Edited)
I went from Alaska to New York in Wintertime with tropical fish- Over 2 weeks of travel time. A few hours isn't so bad.

I had mine in either a coffee cup with lid or in the cup they came in. I then put them into a styrofoam cooler and taped them in place so they wouldn't slide around. This WOULD of worked fine except the backseat window was open and it was like -40F without windchill. All but 2 froze to death.
The survivors I ended up putting their cups into a tiny rodent carrier and keeping that under lays of covers on my lap.

If you only have 1 or 2, I would put them in a coffee cup and keep them in the car's cupholder. They will be fine as long as its not too hot or too cold out. The tempature will be the greatest risk, I think. The ride itself won't hurt them - especially since they get shipped to shops in tiny bags. Maybe add some Krodon fish protector or a little extra stress coat.

I think I woould go with a styrafoam coffee cup over the KK - easier to transport and less suspecious then carrying a kritter keeper, plus the water wont spill out as much if there is a lid. If you are worried, you can always premake a gallon or so of extra water with conditioner just in case something happens and you need it.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for all your great ideas!! :) All of your advice is going to make this trip way easier!! :) I unfortunately will not have access to any of the car's coffee cup holders (both parents are moving me so those will be occupied by their coffee addiction) but you guys have given me some great ideas to work with :) Also Demysta, it is great to know that someone else on the forum is from my area :) :)

#9 ·
It's good you're taking him up with you, usually I place mine in a cup and pack them around with a few scarves in a Styrofoam box, and a heatpack if needed. I think a little added padding/ insulation will protect from the rattling boat, but that's really an issue for the car deck...I think... I have no idea, I haven't been to the main land in so long.

Once back in the car, I tuck the cup into a large cup holder with the scarves or cloth to cushion any jostling from potholes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.