Betta Fish Forum banner

Sleeping bettas!

Tags
hyper sleep
18K views 46 replies 30 participants last post by  BlackberryBetta 
#1 ·
So, my old betta, Chloe, had some quirks. She'd sleep almost everywhere. She slept in the fake plants.. she slept on the rocks.. she slept at the top of the tank.. and she even slept inside of a decorative "sunken slug bug." She had a lovely tank, yet she slept out of her car ;) ANYWAY. My new girl, Tilly, never sleeps! She's hyper as hell and I've YET to see her rest. She swims against the current of the filter, plays in the fake plants, and attacks bubbles all day long....... but never naps.

Where do your bettas sleep?

Does anyone else have any hyper fish like Tilly?

#3 ·
I never see my betta sleeping. He's always awake when I first see him in the morning, and still swimming around when I turn the lights off at night. If he sees any movement in the room at all, he's instantly up at the front of the tank swimming up and down like crazy trying to get your attention.

#6 ·
That sounds JUST like mine :X silly light-sleepers

#4 ·
lolz alot of my bettas sleep in their little barrel caves but on or two sleep in their plants or on the ground

#5 ·
Blizzard is a combination sleeper LOL
He catches naps in his plastic plants. If it is getting late he will glide into his cave but he doesnt sleep there. He just does it as a hint. My birds start chirping to be covered around 7:45. He takes his cue from them LOL
If I come in the kitchen late at night for a snack Blizzard is usually asleep on the larger flat leaf silk plant next to his latest bubble creation

#9 ·
XD I love your hyper fish! That's so cute!

Cryo has some nice, smooth plastic plants that he sleeps in the top of. Other times he lurks under his bridge like a little aquatic troll, if he needs to get away from the light and nap during the day.

Mongkut is WIRED. Idk what is with him. My bf actually laughed when I told him that he's classified as a 'SEMI-aggressive' fish. He spends most of the evening flaring at his own reflection in the glass, then we go to bed, and when I turn on the lights in the morning he rises up out of the little Angkor Wat structure and rushes to the front to say hello. I don't know when in that period he actually goes to sleep, I've never seen it happen. He's not... hyper, exactly? Just... extremely important XD As is fitting for a King of Siam, I guess.

#11 ·
Bahahahaa!!!! I love it. I wish I could see mine sleep! or even wake up!

#10 ·
Ratchet sleeps in the blue plant at the back of his new tank.
Yorick sleeps wedged between the divider and the floating plant.
Moonshoes sleeps on top of the heater, which is directly under his giant bubble nest that he guards.
Mirage sleeps all over the place. Back of the tank, on the gravel, on top of the cave, under the cave, on his plants. Everywhere.
Starscream sleeps on his blue plant in the front of his tank. He'll sleep whether is light or not. He's skittish and lazy, which should be an impossible combination.

#12 ·
Oh, with Cryo it makes me worry! He's so battered I think he's finally kicked the bucket, then I move too quickly and he jolts awake. It has to stink having no eyelids XD

#13 ·
Sweet

I loved reading about the sleeping Betta's. Me being a new owner. Have a wonderful routine with Prince. I turn on his light in the morning. He starts swimming all around. At 8:30pm I turn off the light and he sleeps at the bottom of the tank behind his cave. I love seeing him in his cave. Especially when he peeks half way out. :BIGhappy::-D

#15 ·
HongBo used to sleep on top of the heater knob. Heavy sleeper
Lelouch slept on top of James the Mossball. Light sleeper
Mali sleeps everywhere. Light Sleeper
MeiLin sleeps everywhere also. Light Sleeper
Starburst sleeps in her plants. Medium Sleeper
Skittles sleeps in or on his cave. VERY heavy sleeper

#16 ·
I was up before Mongkut this morning, and I couldn't find him anywhere. I lifted the hood off the tank to see if he was in the Angkor Wat, but he wasn't. Come to find out he had gotten into the top part of his balinese lantern-thing and curled up where I couldn't see him XD Clever boy!

#17 ·
Omg that's so.. cute.... I love that bettas are so bendy and flexible! it seriously just adds to their appeal..

#18 ·
I frickin' bought Tilly a little pink castle, filed down any sharp edges and cleaned it up. The lady at the fish store was like, "wow, you're gonna give your betta a girly castle?" I was like "UGHHHHHHHHH!!! not all bettas are males!" hahaha. Tilly still hasn't slept in it.. >.<

#19 ·
Saint Crispin sleeps everywhere. He's a silly, lazy boy and naps half is life away. On the gravel, on plants, under plants, in his cave, on top of his cave, behind his cave, on the heater, behind the filter, etc. He prefers to sleep on the heater during the winter. But, he wakes up before me in the mornings, so I don't know where he sleeps for the night. o_o

#20 ·
I would like to watch mine sleep but nope, any small movement, they will swim frantically to the front of the glass to see what's happening.

My youngest one is really sweet but psychotic, he constantly whips his tail so fast that the water is rippling, the floaties are bopping up and down and now he even rips his tender new growth tissue of his caudal tail. It is having a hard time to fuse back because of this constant whipping movement. That poor boy can't sleep anywhere but near the surface as he has chronic SBD :-(

My oldest is even nosier lol Every time I move (could be just coming in the door which is far from him), he is swimming like a snake trying to get my attention, so I never have a chance to watch him sleep, but he is usually swimming from the bottom or from his clear mason jar "house". I don't have lights for them, so they rise with the sun. After 8pm, he gets really groggy. Today is his fasting day, and everytime I go up to him, he looks at me and opens and closes his mouth in exaggeration as if mouthing "feed me, feed me" lol

#24 ·
Mine sleep pretty deeply, usually just lying around on the sand. They spend so much energy begging all day long that I am beginning to believe I could drive a truck through our living room and they wouldn't notice.

One night I decided to do a water change at night (something like 11pm or so) since I was already wide awake. Buttercup must have been already asleep; because while usually he spends the whole time chasing around my hand, this night he was very groggy, and was rather in a daze! It was pretty comical. Next morning he was chipper as usual and doing his morning wiggle.

#25 ·
My boy Jango won't sleep in any of the real plants, but he loves sleeping right behind his long/high fake plant in the back of the tank. I occasionally see him sleeping in the teacup, but not often. He's so adorable when he sleeps, haha.

#28 ·
Oberon sleeps anywhere and everywhere but always moves if I go and have a look at him. However his tank is not far from where I sit so I can observe him at my leisure. He looks so cute perched on his silk plants at the top of the tank or draped dramatically over one of the white marble stones at the bottom :)

#30 ·
I had to buy tetras to put in the tank with Emo because he'd stay up all night watching us hoping we weren't suffocating. He thought we had to come up for air like bettas!

So he'd sit there awake all night and sleep all day by whomever was closest to him until I put tetras in and he discovered it was just HIM that had to come up for air.

Emo was SOOOOO emo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.