Betta Fish Forum banner

Best type of cories for betta tank?

5K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  LeroyTheBetta 
#1 ·
I've got a 14 gallon tank that my betta Finny (General Finn Snipes... don't ask.) resides in, he used to have 6 neon tetras buddies but they all died off unfortunetly :/ So now he has the whole tank to himself, and I'd really like to add in some cories.
What kind would be best? I hear that some get too large, so thats why I'm asking :)
Also, any good sites to buy cories online? I have no access to a pet stores. Aquabid I'm sure is good, but I dont have any experience with that site ;D

#3 ·
#7 ·
Peppered cories!!!!

#8 ·
For a 14 gal You can go with any type of cory your want. It's your preference. If you get a smaller type of cory you can get more. If you get a bigger type, you have to get less (but no less than 3). I have previously owned bronze and albinos. My personal favorite are Julii's. Mine are only about 1.5 inches. I love their cream colored skin and stripes. Here is a pic of one of mine.

#11 ·
I have 3 in a 10 gallon. The females are much larger though. The males are like half the size. But they are all really fat. Spotted cories I also recommend. They cost the same as albino's, and I love how well their camoflauge works. They look like little rock piles with eyes!

#14 ·
I would say albinos as they seem to be the most outgoing. I have 5 sterbais in my 2ft tank and I never see them. In our 200L we have albinos and they are always doing something.

#15 ·
i have 3 sterbais, and they're pretty skittish, whenever i walk up they scoot to the back of the tank, but when i'm on the couch, they're the funniest little guys to watch, they swim around and hunt around for food like crazy! and they're just generally cute anyways!!!

#16 ·
haha That sounds like mine. When I first got them they werent like that. They used to play in all the plants and the bubbles. But now they are so timid. I have the feed them before I go to bed ..... they only like to eat at night in the dark.

I dont think I would of chose them if I knew thats what they were really like.

#19 ·
My cories are very playful and not scared of me at all. I stick my hand in the tank and they only swim away when I get like an inch next to their face lol. Maybe they learned to recognize me as their provider. My bettas and platies sure do! They go crazy when I get near the tank.

#21 ·
Several of my bettas have lived at one time or another with my shoal of pygmy cories and they all got along swimmingly. :)

It just depends on your betta's temperment. One of my bettas (Nebuchadnezzar) would immediately have killed all my pygmy cories if I had housed him with them because he's psycho, but the rest of my bettas are sweethearts and seemed to enjoy having pygmy cory tankmates.

#23 ·
No need to worry about my betta's aggressive-ness, he liked to chase a neon tetra every now and then, but thats only when one came near him xD The neon tetras are all gone though... So just the one betta in my 14g, no snails or nothing either.

#25 ·
I'm also wondering, do cories need an air stone? I heard somewhere that they were air-breathers just like bettas, but another site said that if they do breathe from the surface it means there isnt enough oxygen in the water... I dont have an air stone, nor have the money to get an air pump and all that stuff. When I had the neon tetras they were fine in my water, and I have my filter baffled right now, but I could fiddle with that a bit. When the baffle is off my filter, air bubbles come down from the output. Sorry if I didnt describe it well >.< Any input on this? :D

#28 · (Edited)
For a 14 gal You can go with any type of cory your want. It's your preference. If you get a smaller type of cory you can get more. If you get a bigger type, you have to get less (but no less than 3). I have previously owned bronze and albinos. My personal favorite are Julii's. Mine are only about 1.5 inches. I love their cream colored skin and stripes. Here is a pic of one of mine.

Errrr... I hate to burst bubbles, but those are most definately trilineatus, not julii. Julii are VERY VERY rarely captured and exported from Brazil, South America. C. Julii are found in the lower Amazon, where commercial fish collectors do not really operate. If they do find their way to pet stores, it's typically in Germany, but again this is very very very rare.
C. Julii will have very small and distinct spots, rather than the more linear pattern in your picture

Almost all pet stores label them as julii... but they are not :)
Maybe because it's easier to say "Julie-Eye" than "try-lin-knee-ah-tuss"?!

However, trilineatus (or "false julii") are super awesome!!
And... enough of my "rant".....

Anyways, I would recommend getting at least 6 of the same species. Most cories you'll find for sale are right around 2 inches when full grown. And make sure that they're compatible with the temperature you keep your betta at :)

Pick whatever species you like best!!
THEY'RE ALL GREAT!!

#29 ·
I've got 4 trilineatus in with my betta and all get along great! My cories are very active, not shy at all. I love them! I don't have an air stone but my tank is heavily planted and I've never noticed them surfacing for air.

#30 ·
I wouldn't worry about an air stone right away.

But if you do notice them going to the surface to breathe a lot, then definately consider buying one. An analogy I like is... humans technically "can" live by only taking one breath every 20-30 seconds... but it's not ideal. Same with cories, the "can" live this way, but it's not ideal.

Or as a "free alternative" ... you could try lowering the level of water in your tank to create more surface agitaion, and therefore more dissolved oxygen in the water, and see if that helps the cories :)

What is the scientific name for a Julie Cory? =]
ANSWER: Corydoras julii

#33 ·
it seems like a very common thing for them to be mis-labeled.
Julii, Trilineatus, Leopardus, Sterbai, Haraldschultzi,Brochis, Scleromystax, Aspidoras, c128 (and a whole list of "c" numbers...) All tend to get confused, mislabeled, etc.....

Corydoras identification can be... overwhelming with over 200 species and probably more that are yet to be discovered!

#34 · (Edited)
Hmmm... I did research and mine dont look like Trilineatus I mean, here is a frontal shot of one of mine. Trilineatus has much more pronounced squiggly lines on their head while Julli's have dots. I have also seen Trilineatus (labeled as Julli) at my petco and they do look different. Their skin is a darker shade. I know because I bought one from petco and it wasnt until I put it in the tank that I noticed it looked completely different. Unfortunately it died 2 days later.

Here is a pic of Trilineatus and when you compare the patterns on the head you see it looks way different. I could have an entirely different variety or just a hybrid lol.

As for my cories, I do believe they were captive bred, at least thats what the guy told me. Its a small LFS with good reviews and the guy definitely knew what he was doing (half his store was saltwater, he asked me about cycling, how I cared for my betta, water changes, etc), so I had no reason to not believe him.

#36 ·
Hmmm... I did research and mine dont look like Trilineatus I mean, here is a frontal shot of one of mine. Trilineatus has much more pronounced squiggly lines on their head while Julli's have dots. I have also seen Trilineatus (labeled as Julli) at my petco and they do look different. Their skin is a darker shade. I know because I bought one from petco and it wasnt until I put it in the tank that I noticed it looked completely different. Unfortunately it died 2 days later.

Here is a pic of Trilineatus and when you compare the patterns on the head you see it looks way different. I could have an entirely different variety or just a hybrid lol.

As for my cories, I do believe they were captive bred, at least thats what the guy told me. Its a small LFS with good reviews and the guy definitely knew what he was doing (half his store was saltwater, he asked me about cycling, how I cared for my betta, water changes, etc), so I had no reason to not believe him.
yea, they're deffinetly not c. trilineatus from that close up...but he does have squiggles.....i think he is one of those great mysteries of the universe. ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.