Betta Fish Forum banner

Test strips

569 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  grammymary 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a question. I know the test strips aren't as accurate as the API liquid test kit but those all cost around $40. Until I can get a liquid kit are the strips a decent thing to use or are they so inaccurate that it would cause me to either over treat the tank or ignore a real problem. Thx for your help. :) My tank (5 gal) is 4 weeks old & still in the process of cycling ( with the fish).

#2 ·
The test strips, at least when I've put them head-to-head with the liquid, were dangerously inaccurate. The strips would test at 0ppm, and the liquid would test at up to 0.25ppm difference...if that was 0.25 to 0.5, that could really start to harm a fish quickly, and could really throw off your cycling steps as well.

I tried the strips at first too, and later realized I'd just wasted 10$ I could have put into a liquid kit...never again, lol! :)

Also, it's almost a one time investment. Once your tank is cycled, you only have to check things out occasionally, and so that test kit will last you forever. :) I've got one I've had for a year, and it's still 2/3 of the way full, and that's after having cycled and started six separate tanks.

This one is 24.00 **with** shipping:
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...rm={keyword}&gclid=CLznlZnDr7kCFcvm7AodShgAaQ

I hope that helps!!

#3 ·
Yes, thank you so much for your reply. I was afraid the strips may be dangerously inaccurate. I will definitely get myself a liquid kit. I didn't realize they lasted so long and were, therefore, a very economical purchase. Thx for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

#6 ·
Thanks Blue Fish and Hallyx for the info. I just ordered my API test kit and I went with Amazon because I already have an acct with them plus I've been wanting to try the Prime so this way I got free shipping. I really appreciate the help from both of you. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.