Betta Fish Forum banner

What Color? Is he a tailbiter or is it fin rot?

754 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fleetfish 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Fin rot usually takes place after a fin is damaged. It seems like his tail got either bitten or damages from surroundings, it looks like their hasn't been any rot yet but I would start treating him a soon as possible so he doesn't get it. Jose had a bitting incident some time ago and I did a 1tbs epson salt per gallon treatment everyday and changed out his water everyday. His fins grew back but he damaged them so bad that they grew back weird. I would highly recommend oldladyfish's advice.

#7 ·
Tailbiting is like biting your fingernails, so bettas will do it out of boredom, habit, stress ... whatever. Sometimes the food is the cause, other times they don't like the decor -- it's just very difficult to pinpoint what the problem is. So on that note what you could do is move his decor around, play with him, feed him different foods, and whatever else keeps his attention away from his tail. There's no guarantee he won't do it again though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.