Betta Fish Forum banner

Diet question for fry

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  JamieTron 
#1 ·
Hrm to my dismay I found out that the petstores in my new area do not carry brine shrimp cysts and they will order them but for 50 bucks a big huge can, which I don't think I want to invest in right away as this is my first time spawning.

SO I want to buy a microworm culture instead online because they are cheap and look easy to grow

I have found I can grow infusuria now for the first week (yay I did it!) lol but after that....

I have one small vile or brine shrimp cysts from before I moved, could I mix the diet for the fry like one meal brine shrimp and the next worms? or brine shrimp every few days or something? Would this be acceptable?

the pet store tried to sell me flakes and frozen food...I told them I won't accept non live food for my fry.

#3 ·
I've read that it is good to mix the food for the fry, so they don't become picky when they are older, and ensures they get the nutrition they need, but I'm not 100% sure, having never tried it, or even had any fry as yet.

#7 ·
okay thanks guys :) just wanted to make sure just in case! My worms should come in pretty soon :) I am really excited my bettas are ready and conditioned now I just need to start my worm and brine shrimp cultures and I can set up my spawning tank eeee *excited* lol

#13 ·
That's what I said lol I have to keep reminding people it might not work out the first time either!! lol They will have to wait ;-)

I don't know if I should encourage more betta addicts though ;-) lol! jk jk One of my friends came over and made me show her all of my bettas (I was happy that someone was interested) she saw my enthusiasm and went out and got a really nice red veil tail + she wants some babies if they happen, I warned her that once you go past one there is no going back ;-) lol...I told her to stop on by the forum if she has time :)

#20 ·
I believe we would have to go through the whole reconditioning process again, so like the 2 weeks of conditioning...but that's assuming that the fish are okay after the first breeding without too much fin damage and whatnot. ;-)

#22 ·
that's a good idea :) that's what I have been doing as well :) I just conditioned everyone. I have two males with great nests and they rest are just kind of playing around building theirs lol. My females are all pretty much ready...I have one older female that is bigger most of my males so I won't breed her...even though I love her shade of blue

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.