Betta Fish Forum banner

Couple issues in the tank :(

821 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Bettafeathers 
#1 ·
Hi all!

This is going to be rather short, as I am typing on my phone. I'm having some issues with my fish. I have a divided 10 gallon, heated to around 80 and filtered.

Issue 1: halfmoon male is bloated. Now, I'm blaming myself because I know there's a chance I overfed him. The pellets are small and I recall putting in a few too many. Some usually sink so I didn't think anything of it. He's been bloated for a number of days now with no change unfortunately. Would my best course of action be epsom salts and some frozen daphnia if I can find some?? Any insight is welcomed.

Issue 2: new aquabid halfmoon. This guy was at the bottom of the box, underneath two other fish and the heat pack as at the top. He was super cold when I got the box - they had also been in a truck all day for what was supposed to be a delivery. Well I wasn't sure he was alive on arrival, but he was. I got them home and acclimated them all the same over quite some time. I noticed he was in different positions in his bag, near verticle, tail up. I didn't think much of it other than stress and small bag. He didn't seem to have any issues. Released in the divided tank and I notice his heavy breathing doesn't subside over the next day or two. Then, he stops swimming around and struggled to reach te surface. I cupped him and floated it. Now, after two days he's still breathing very heavy and I'm seeing some pineconing of his scales. I'm not sure what to think other than dropsy. I'm concerned as to my other fish now since they share the same water. Is there anything I can do for pineconing? I'm going to take my other one out tomorrow and keep him quarantined as a safety precaution.

I'll add more tomorrow if needed! If someone can give me maybe some insight as to a course of action that would be great.

Fingers crossed for my boys.

See less See more
#2 ·
Issue 1 -try fasting for a day or two. If that doesnt work then use 1 teaspoon of epsom per gallon. You can try daphnia but I dont know where you get it from other then making your own

Issue 2 - no idea.
Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't really recommend the pea method, if fasting him for 3 natural days do not work, proceed to the use of epsom salts. 1 tsp per gallon till the bloating goes down, epsom salt unlike aq salt can be used indefinetely.

Also to help him poop, make him flare for a few min every day :) And yeah Bettas are hungry little piggies they will search around the bottom for fallen pellets in their spare time XD I know mine does.

As for dropsy, there is little you can do now, dropsy is hard to treat once the pineconing starts, just do not share any of the fish items and make sure that your other betta isn't showing symptoms. You have three choices:

1- Make the fish as comfortable as possible before his end
2- Euthanizing him
3- Try to treat him

To treat dropsy is hard, as it is internal failure going on, you can use epsom salts with him, to help with the constipation and raising the temp to 82F.

But make sure that it is indeed dropsy and not constipation (check for poop), here are some examples:

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the one with the pineconing didn't make the night. I was considering euthanizing him if he was still hanging on as he was not doing well at all. He definitely looked like the guy in the picture you posted asuka. I upped the temperature and tried to make him as comfortable as possible. I'll just chuck the supplies I used for him, it will only be a couple dollars lost.

The one who is bloated is, well, still bloated. I have some epsom salts, which I will start him on this evening when I get home. I'll just chuck the supplies I used, it will only be a couple dollars lost.

I will keep everyone updated on his progress!

#7 ·
UGH! So, I just had a good look at the bloated one. Looks like he has worms, my best guess is camallanus worms - it looks exactly like them. He has begun to pinecone, which has me completely freaked out and it sounds like these are some nasty suckers to have got! I'm trying to figure out what my best course of action is in the way of getting medications tomorrow - it's currently 10:40 so unfortunately the poor baby has to wait another day. I feel horrible that I didn't catch this sooner.

#8 ·
Double post - sorry.

Little guy is in a little two cup container. I've mixed up some epsom salt water to try to help the bloat and put some into his cup, although likely very diluted. He got an itty bit of food, maybe not the best idea but he gobbled it right up. I'm staying hopeful. Tomorrow, off to find dewormer!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.