Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Feeding

1K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  DragonFish 
#1 ·
My son purchased a Betta last Friday and the store associate suggested Hikari Betta Bio-Gold as a staple diet. I was wondering what the more experienced Betta keepers thought of this product.

#5 ·
+1 NLS and Omgea are currently the two best commercial brands out there. Hikari used to be up there, but they changed their formula a while back and added in more fillers.
You can offer a variety by feeding both brands, alternating between feedings and as treats a couple times a week, you can pick up some freeze-dried or frozen bloodworms and/or brine shrimp. ;)

#6 ·
Freeze-dried food is not that great for betta fish. Do you mean frozen? Freeze-dried food is known to cause constipation and bloating, which is why most people give such food as a treat no more than once a week. Frozen is the best and it is always interesting to see your fish chase after the live food!

#11 ·
If you know you're bettas well enough, you know when they like something and when they don't. ;)

I have fed various pellet brands over the years, but so far I've had the best and most enthusiastic reaction to NLS pellets, even with my picker boys. They're also nice and small, so even if I end up picking up a very young guy(like I did recently)they don't have much trouble eating them. My guys actually were not a fan of the Omega One....almost all of them disliked it quite a bit.

#18 ·
Ok so my betta likes the NLS. Also while I was at petco, I picked up frozen bloodworms. I just tried to give him one and he had a hard time eating it. He would grab it (the peice was about 3/4" long) and have about 1/8" sticking out while trying to eat it. Then he would spit it out and grab it again, did it several times and then finally just let it go and he swimmed away.

Does he not like them? Is it too big for him? Is this normal the first time they get fed them? Should I try a different treat?

Thanks.

#19 ·
With my NLS pellets, I feed about 3-4 per feeding twice a day. Occasionally a 5th pellet will fall in there, but I wouldn't suggest regularly feeding more then 4 per feeding for your standard sized adult betta.

Yes, thats normal. ;)
I've found that the first time I introduce my boys to bloodworms, they're a little unsure of them(some more then others of course, depends on the betta). They often test it and spit it out a few times, swim away, come back to investigate.....and repeat a couple of times before actually eating them. Once they get the taste of them though, I've never had a betta that didn't like bloodworms(though I have heard of a few extremely picky guys who didn't like them). xD

So don't give up too quickly on them. You can try again another time. Just drop in a few little worms and let him investigate and test them for a bit. ;) It may just take him a little longer to figure out they're food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.