Betta Fish Forum banner

Plant Care in a 1 Gallon?

870 views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Aluyasha 
#1 ·
I have my Bettas in 1 gallon tanks with no filters (not to worry I am vigilant). Anhow I decided to try my hand at live plants for the first time. Hong Ki and Man o' War have fake plants but yesterday I bought for Onion's tank a small anubias. My tank has a normal light and I have not added any plant food.
Is there anything extra I need to do to take care of it?

Also, the petstore had two plants called Hornwort and Crypts I think. What is their care? I would like to give my other two bettas each different plants. :)

#2 ·
I'd get a java fern also, it grows slowly. You can probably find a different variety of anubias as well..
My anubias is in a 2.5 gallon, with a small LED light and natural light only. It is growing pretty fast (it is naturally slow growing) and has a ton of roots. Just clip and leaves that get old looking, which should rarely happen. Also don't bury it's roots. My anubias is very hardy and survives being practically dried up and washed every week during water changes, I've had it for around 6 months.

#3 ·
the plants you've selected are very easy to care for plants, they have minimal requirements and actually will help with water quality, I only have a couple of comments
Crypts are rooted plants and usually only grow very well with root tabs or another supplement in the substrate to make it of better quality. though they can grow in substrate with no supplements they should ideally have a rich substrate
Make sure that you dont have the Anubias rooted into the ground, they are considered "non substrate rooted" plants which means they dont have to be placed in the substrate, if they are, they will encounter rot, and in such a small tank toxins will build up faster and its easier for ammonia and particular diseases to have a negative affect on your fish when organic matter is decomposing in the tank, also, with anubias you should really watch out for algae growth as this plant grows very slow which leaves is succeptable to many algae types
Just one more note, dont worry if your hornwort starts to loose a vast amount of those spiny needles in its first week in your tank, this is completely normal, if it does progress, then you should remove it and identify why it died so you can stop the problem from occuring again

#5 ·
it can be tied to a rock with fishing line or let to float, but either way it will still grow well, as long as its not buried in the substrate, as it will rot leading to an ammonia spike, that could kill your betta, and if that doesnt, then a secondary infection will

#7 · (Edited)
Okay, good luck with your plants! I hope I helped! you wont need plant foods for the Anubias, they are very low requirement plants and in a 1 gallon with a betta, there should be plenty or nutrients for the plant to survive and thrive on

#9 ·
Yes, I already was about to recommend java moss, it is another easy, low requirement plant

#11 ·
Aquabid, just try to find a good seller with an excellent reputation

#12 ·
So I went to the petstore today to get some plant food to help my anubias to grow faster and they had a big clump of java moss for $2!
It has some brown bits but overall is looking good. Is there anything I need to do to it before I put it in my tanks?

#14 ·
Ok, so I have had the anubias for 4 days now and the java moss for 3 days.
I just wanted to post some pictures of them so maybe someone can tell me if they look healthy or not. :)
Java moss:

Is it ok for little parts of the java moss to be brown?

Anubias:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.