Betta Fish Forum banner

Please Help Betta In Trouble

2K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  Starfish1 
#1 ·
So a few weeks ago my girlfriend bought me a betta and a half gallon starter tank to put him in. Everything had been going great for awhile until this week he was really active would look at you and listen eat about 5 pellets a day (two in the morning 3 before bed) then he started looking a bit gray and lethargic after i did a water change and I used a test strip to see if the water was okay and everything checked out aswell as the temp it was sitting at 78-80F so i got some PIMAFIX and now im on my second day of using it and the water looks a bit cloudy and he just sits at the top of the tank now and barely eats (today he tried to eat a pellet and spat it back out). I made the mistake one time of doing a 100% water change but only one time and after he seemed to be his normal self. I bought a new tank with a filter that is 3.5 gallons and I have some nice plants and a pirate skull to put in it for him but my question is how do i make him better before I move him to the new tank? Or will moving him to the new tank with the filter make him happier. I am trying my best to make him better but nothing seems to work.

#2 ·
Ok to start off, i just want to know, did you add dechlor to the water? Secondly I think its best to move him from the half gallon to the 3.5, but if the filter is to strong i suggest leaving it off until he recovers a bit. And i think 4 pellets a day is enough.
And if you could put up a pic it would help a lot.

#4 ·
He is beautiful! I agree with Crystalicethron, I would move him to the 3.5 gal. tank and leave the filter off until he is healthier.

#6 ·
I just finished setting up Took's new home, I put in the nutrafin and I will wait awhile before I put him in because I have to pick up a heater from petsmart. I havent given him his daily pimafix medication yet (hes on his third day of treatment) because I will be changing him homes soon but he seems to be getting better (I caught him swimming about normally instead of staying at the top all lethargic), and he ate all 3 pellets I gave him too! Do you guys think the new tank I got will be a good home for him?

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Well I transported took to his new home via sandwhich bag which some of his old tank water and let him float at the top of the tank for like an hour with a small hole in it so the water from the new and old tank could mix. Then after awhile i made the hole bigger and he swam out and started exploring his new home. He seems to taken a fondness to the filter (its off for now until he gets better) he has been sitting behind it for the longest time is that normal?

EDIT: I just realized he started doing this after I added the pimafix to the new tank to continue his treatment (on his 3rd day)

Attachments

#10 ·
The filter hasnt been on at all i just have it sitting there, and he isnt gray anymore but i wanted to continue using pimafix as the bottle directed to be safe. His swimming seemed perfectly fine but I did notice after i put the pimafix in he started hiding behind the filter and sitting at the top of his tank again

#11 ·
That is a nice new home for Took. I think it is fairly normal that he is hanging out by the filter, my guy when he rest likes to hang out by his heater. I bet he is going to love exploring his new home tomorrow after a nice rest. Bettas do rest or sleep at night and often will pick one area like Took has with the filter that they like to sleep in. They have a day and night cycle just like we do.

I would stop using the pimafix because it has oil in it and that can cause trouble with the organ they use to breath air with. Anything with the word fix in it is not good to use for Bettas. I think just the clean warm water will be enough for now but keep and eye out for any problems he is having and let us know if you need any help. I am glad you joined the forum and I hope you enjoy your time here and keep us updated on Took is doing.

#12 ·
Thank you for your reply and thank you for welcoming me to the forum, I will just leave him alone and keep and eye on him. I only got pimafix because the lady at petsmart said it was what she used when her beta got sick and it was top of the line. What do you suggest I use in stead of pimafix if he gets sick again?

#13 ·
Im glad to hear hes getting better, the tank looks great as well! I also set up a new tank for my girl today with 2 live plants to help keep the water clean and eliminate any possible ammonia so she will heal faster. maybe its the medicine he's trying to hide from. Make sure youre not putting too much in the tank, but it seems putting him in a different tank is exactly what he needed.

#14 ·
If he gets sick again definitely not anything with -fix at the end if because all of those are the same as pimafix and are bad for a betta. Pet store employees are not always the most knowledgeable about bettas and especially not about medications. As long as you keep up with water changes and vacuuming the gravel, at minimum 50% once a week once the tank is cycled, and keep the temp 78-80 he should be ok. In the event the betta gets sick, different medicines are needed for different problems.

It sounds like the water quality in the half gallon was affecting him, especially if you only did 1 100% water change, along with no heater. He'd need a daily 100% water change in a container that small, and even so they get depressed and lethargic when they have no room to swim around in.

#15 ·
Please fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Honestly, I have used pimafix many, many times on my bettas without any issue whatsoever. IMO/IME it is only dangerous if you use to much. I use a half dose just to be safe and it works just fine. The whole "anything with fix at the end is bad" thing is bascically because some people have has bad experiences with it- when they didn't dose it properly. That being said, with the symptoms you describe, I don't believe he needs pimafix.

#16 ·
Not really an emergency so im not sure if I should post it here. Not even a day after being in the tank the water has become very cloudy (im not sure if you can tell from the picture). I turned the filter on but it doesnt seem to be doing very much to clear the cloudiness. But took seems to be fine and he slept inside the skull last night and likes to hang out by the heater.

Attachments

#18 ·
Thanks for a reply he WAS turning gray it seemed. His head to the middle part of his body seemed to be turning gray. But since I started using pimafix he seems to be better. He doesnt stay at the top of the tank anymore and swims all over. My only issue now is the water is suddenly cloudy after 1 day when it was previously crystal clear

#21 ·
Perhaps the treatment you had got in there via zip lock bag? It probably coated him so him swimming in clean water uh, washed it off? You didn't by any chance clean it with soap or the sort did you? It could have come from the filter? Did you cycle it?

#22 ·
Thank you for trying to help me :) I didnt use any soap, i rinsed everything off with warm water thats all. Im sorry but I am still new to owning a fish im trying my best to take the best care possible of him but I dont know what cycling is.

#27 ·
Usually when people cycle with fish inside the tank? They're fish they don't mind uh .. Dying. Which is another way to add bacteria from their poop, food .. Etc. With how cloudy the water is there's also a high chance he'll get ammonia burns. You could always downsize him for now, cycling is a long process it's not going to be done in a day.

How to guide:

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/helpful-articles/cycling-an-aquarium

#28 ·
Sorry for all the questions, I am so lost on the subject of cycling a tank. All i need to do is move "took" to a smaller tank for now and basically just let the bigger 3.5 gallon tank sit for a few weeks with the filter running for a few weeks while testing the water to make sure the nitrates and ammonia levels are okay. Then once its done cycling acclimate and put "took" back into the 3.5 gal

#29 ·
Yes, pretty much. There's also the option of when its finally cycled? Add live plants into his tank and these help with nitrates. Totally optional though. I'm sorry this is all such a long process but I assure you seeing him happy will be worth while. :p

#32 ·
No need to be sorry, it is a long process but I love my fish and I want him to have a happy home and life. Luckily my mother had a credit at petsmart and all the stuff ive gotten so far was free. When I transfer him to a smaller tank should I use tap water with some water treatment or some of the water from the 3.5 gallon tank. I appreciate all the help everyone has given me so far, its alot of work to start off but I am enjoying my fish and trying to give him a happy life.

#30 ·
You could do a fish in cycle, that is where you leave the fish in the tank while it cycles. I did a fish in cycle with my 5 gallon and it went very well. Your tank is 3.5 gallons right ? There are a few things you will need in order to do this safely 1. API Master Freshwater Testing Kit 2. Prime water conditioner(it will detox ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for up to 48 hours) 3. Gravel vacuum

All tanks with filters can be cycled but the smaller the tank the longer it can take to cycle. When you do a fish in cycle you have to be prepared to do weekly water changes ( I will post a link for how many you need to do) . You will use the testing kit to test your water to see where you are in your cycle, you will know your tank has cycled when your test shows you have no ammonia or nitrites in your water.

There are plenty members here that can help you with cycling your tank using the fish in method if you decide you want to do one. They sure helped me when I did my fish in cycle and it was my first time to ever cycle a tank. Its a good way to bond with Took and what you want to be careful of is that all the water changes dont stress him out to much. Perseus handled it better than I did...lol He did mind and came to love all the water changes and would follow and still does my gravel vac around.

Back to your cloudy water, keep running the filter and is should clear up soon. Most Bettas do like to hang around at the top. Is he still eating well ?

#31 ·
Hawtt, just do a water change and put new water in (and add water conditioner). This will solve the problem. When you have a filter you still have to do frequent water changes, two 50% water changes per week would be good. Do you have a siphon so you can clean your gravel and siphon out the water?

I'm not good at explaining cycling either but after you put the fish in you have to test the water parameters very often at the beginning because you can sudden get way too much ammonia and nitrites in the tank. You'll have to do water changes more often during the first month or two of having him in the tank. After this time period, beneficial bacteria will grow in the gravel and filter which will change the ammonia produced by the fish at that point the ammonia and nitrite level will go down. so be careful to test and be prepared to do a lot of water changes for the next few weeks. The cloudy water could be a bloom of beneficial bacteria, just do a quick water change and you should be ok. There's no need to take him out out of the tank unless you're cleaning it and putting him back in.

#34 ·
é

Hawtt, just do a water change and put new water in (and add water conditioner). This will solve the problem. When you have a filter you still have to do frequent water changes, two 50% water changes per week would be good. Do you have a siphon so you can clean your gravel and siphon out the water?

I'm not good at explaining cycling either but after you put the fish in you have to test the water parameters very often at the beginning because you can sudden get way too much ammonia and nitrites in the tank. You'll have to do water changes more often during the first month or two of having him in the tank. After this time period, beneficial bacteria will grow in the gravel and filter which will change the ammonia produced by the fish at that point the ammonia and nitrite level will go down. so be careful to test and be prepared to do a lot of water changes for the next few weeks. The cloudy water could be a bloom of beneficial bacteria, just do a quick water change and you should be ok. There's no need to take him out out of the tank unless you're cleaning it and putting him back in.

Hey starfish, thanks for replying to my thread and trying to help me out. I do not have a gravel siphon yet but I am sure I can go to petsmart and pick one up soon (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754084&f=PAD/psNotAvailInCA/No will this work?). So just change half of the water twice a week until the ammonia levels go down? I dont need to move him to a half gallon at all?

#38 ·
Thanks! This helps alot

Well. <<
I screwed up? Lol.
Hey atleast you know more than me lol I dont really know anything at all, but in any case I appreciate you trying to help me and ``took``

no problem!

Yep, something just like that. That one is a huge one though, they come in smaller sizes for a smaller tank, and the smaller one would be cheaper.

No, as long as you change his water and get rid of that cloudiness you're seeing, i don't see a need to move him to a half gallon. The smaller tank the more ammonia and dirty water, so he's better off in the 3 gallon.
Alrighty then ill get a smaller one when i go check out petsmart.

#37 ·
no problem!

Yep, something just like that. That one is a huge one though, they come in smaller sizes for a smaller tank, and the smaller one would be cheaper.

No, as long as you change his water and get rid of that cloudiness you're seeing, i don't see a need to move him to a half gallon. The smaller tank the more ammonia and dirty water, so he's better off in the 3 gallon.

#40 ·
Your welcome Hawtt, I was in the same situation a year ago when I got Perseus as a gift and he came with a half gallon bowl. I didnt know anything about Bettas and was so happy I found this forum and ordered a bigger tank right away for him. Your doing great and ask all the questions you want so many great members here always willing to help.

#42 ·
Flapmon your cycling two filter wow good luck, that takes a lot of work but so worth it right ? We are here if you need any help, I could have never done my cycle without so much help from the members on this forum.

#43 ·
Yeah. Doing a filter for a 2ft and a 6 and a half gallon. :p Might be 3 if I decide to set up a sorority. It is worth it, it's even better to know they're happy and healthy. Although I'll be keeping my betta's out of it while the filters cycle.. Plus I need to buy dividers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.