Betta Fish Forum banner

Have a true rescue and need help!

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Flapmon 
#1 ·
I'm warmed in my heart when the events of today evolved. Headed to my fav Petco that is ...well so scared of my sons judgment that they are very care oriented lol. Honestly today blew me away. I have stopped and looked at this beautiful EE half moon many times but he has been sick looking and now obvious. Assistant manager approached me and said that the manager(off today) said that if he saw me and my kids to offer the fish at $4 like the cheap ones instead of $20...but get this! They also offered a new 2.5 gallon bow front, filtered lighted setup to cure him and have him! Thats a $40 decent hospital tank! Well duh ...yes I took it. Now how do I treat him and how bad off is he?
I have Maracyn Two.. is this going to help him?

This is his bad eye :sob:

and here is his good side.. (excuse the ugly filter baffle..wasn't easy to baffle his filter. This guy I'm thinking needs NO current while recovering.)

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh my goodness! That poor guy! I'm sorry I have no advice to offer for this but I hope someone does and that you can save him, he'll be beautiful once colored up a little more! I'm so glad you rescued him though!!

#3 ·
Thanks! He was always just looking at me like..." please?!?!? I really want to go home with you!":-( I always felt terrible putting him back. But with the way the store reached out for my help today I had to do it. He is so sweet and so pretty. Looks like one chunk ripped out of one of his pretty white pectoral fins....but his eye really worries me. I want to treat like RIGHT now..lol. Anyone who knows anything..please chime in. I hope he isn't in pain:sad:. I feel he trusts I'm gonna fix him and I don't want to let him down.

#5 ·
I'm thinking thats what it is :-( . Anyone have advice to a semi newbie on best treatments. I started mild treatment with Maracyn 2 last night but honestly need some step by step "how to medicate your fish for dummies" instructions. I know he can still see and maybe even out of the bad eye because I dropped Omega pellets one on his good eye side and he jumped to it and ate it then I tried his bad eye side and he did the same.. Is there hope for this eye? PLease help!

#8 ·
I'd start off with the maracyn and maracyn 2 treatment for 5-7 days, adding the aquarium salt is optional and I'm sure you'll get another betta lover to give more options before you try the tetracycline treatment (if it comes down to that.) The most hardest thing about pop eye is knowing what caused it. It could be fungal or it could be bacterial. There is so many ways to treat it and in the end you wouldn't want to overdose the poor little guy. There's a website that specifies on certain problems betta's have that suggests something entirely different;

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

And in the end what will help is feedback on these certain medications and what works best from personal experiences.

You're not retarded! You're worrying for a poor fish so stress comes into play. I'm probably making it worse by offering so many treatments for his eye, the only time my fish got pop eye was when I treated it with melafix but now everyone here shuns every medication ending with 'fix' for the fear it coats their breathing organ. I'm sure he'll be okay and you'll choose the right thing to do by him. He's still eating, right?

#11 ·
Yea...I actually floated him when I dosed the water. He is a weirdo. He actually likes going into his cup haha.. Then resists getting out of it. I really hope he makes it through well, because he is so strange in a good way! He is happy when out of it but it's like trying to get a toddler out of the bathtub hahaha

#14 ·
Thanks guys!! I hate worrying but I know he will come out OK even if he loses an eye..but lets think positive. He is currently having a staring contest with my bearded dragon, Agent13 haha.
On another note I'm wondering as I'm looking at him at putting things together.. tell me what you think
1. He was at the store for a long time
2. His ventral fins are both curled at the ends which makes me think he was in cramped conditions for a LONG time.
3. The Petco he is from didn't have an awesome fish guy(has a bachelors degree in this field) till 3 months ago(and I suspect this fish may have been there possibly longer then that.)

Does this all start sounding like more likely bacterial infection/exposure from long term bad improper care? This is speculation and I obviously don't expect more then an educated guess from you guys either....??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.