Betta Fish Forum banner

White substance around mouth

652 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jessaboo52 
#1 ·
I have a 3 year old veil tail that has a white mass/substance around his mouth. It is not affecting him eating, he's always been a great eater! I suspected that it was mouth rot, which I believed to be a form of fungus, so I did a round of fungus cure along with the 25% water change afterwards, exactly what the directions told me to do an it seems to not have changed anything with his condition. I also used aquarium salt. I have tetracycline, but am reluctant to just "experimenting" with medication without advise.
I myself have worked in the veterinary field for the past 13 years, yet this is baffling me. My boss said I can bring him in to rule out a tumor, but Im afraid that may be to traumatic for him. I have no idea what else to do
I have never had a problem with any of my bettas, but I recently moved into a new house which is on a well water system. Originally I was using the tap water with the routine water conditioner but recently found out that my water is acidic so I have changed to using spring water only. I am very diligent with changing their water. They all are in 2.5 gallon tanks with a filter system, no heater but the water remains proper temp. 3 out of 4(not including my veil tail) are starting to have issues with their fins splitting....I'm wondering if this correlates to anything to do with my veil tail? I was told to use melafix to treat their fins, but am aware of the "mixed emotions" regarding its use.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! I'm at a loss......

See less See more
#2 ·
can you put a pic of your fish i think i might know what is happening to him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.