Betta Fish Forum banner

Poor Wolfie!

404 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Flapmon 
#1 ·
My sister's betta, Wolfgang, seems to have these weird spasms every once in a while... he seems to not be able to stay upright and seems bloated. She has him in an unheated, unfiltered, half gallon tank. ( please cut her some slack, she's having a hard time getting cash.) He also always looks a lot paler, Is there anything we can do for the poor guy?

#3 ·
Hi, as Flapmon mentioned, photos would be helpful, if you can get them. Also, please complete the form below, so that we have more information. Answer the questions you can, and put N/A beside the questions you cannot answer.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

#4 · (Edited)
Well don't have any photos of the last time this happened, so sorry about that. However, I can fill out that form...
Housing
What size is your tank? .5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 81 last i checked...
Does your tank have a filter? nope
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? nope
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? i think she feeds him Aqueon pellets...?
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice a day
Sorry Im not giving you much to work with...

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day or so?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he will look bloated and VERY pale
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He often can't stay upright and won't eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? it started a few weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? We had no idea what to do... we just tried to raise the water temperature.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes this is kind of an on and off thing.
How old is your fish (approximately)? hmm... around 1 year?

#6 · (Edited)
Actually, yes thanks a bunch flapmon...I might show this to my sister as well.

#7 ·
If you need to ask any questions about the sickness chart? Don't hold back. There are people to help. It's just hard to diagnose something without a picture where if I show you this you can look at your boy and see what it sounds like. I'm sure others on here can tell you what it is without needing any photos and just using the questions as a reference and they might even come here to give suggestions, I'm sure. :p

#8 ·
Well... It sounded like a few different things but the weird thing is he will be VERY VERY sick then, in a few hours, be perfectly fine. Great Gandalf, its odd. Next time this happens I will absolutely post pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.