Betta Fish Forum banner

Incompatible??

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  MrVampire181 
#1 ·
My first attempt at breeding is proving somewhat stressful. My beautiful Giant male is the absolute master of the bubble nest and is normally very placid and gentle. Today I introduced him to a beautiful Giant female through a glass partition and I just don't think they are feeling the love... From the outset I will admit that I am a little over protective and perhaps I worry a little too much about the slightest upset with my fish, but I really don't want my fish to be stressed... Since I placed her into his tank they have been going at the glass like mortal enemies. Flaring and bobbing up and down, charging at each other. Her breeding tube is visible but she is not getting stripey. My question is, is this normal behavior?
I would never want to risk the health and safety of my fish and I am quite anxious about the possibility that this is stressing them out...

Can some experienced breeders please lend me some advice?

#2 ·
I've had this happen, actually every time I breed :p

My last spawn of plakats had a lot of flaring and some nips but the female came out with only one missing scale and bred just 13 hours after they were first put together. If he's got a nest go ahead and release her :)

#3 ·
Thanks for your advice Mr.Vampire. I could convince myself that overnight they have relaxed a fraction but there is still a massive display of bravado going on between them. I will leave them for a couple of days to see if they get used to each other even more. Funny thing is I have never seen him do this with other females that have been near his tank. They were too small to breed with him but he certainly knew they were ladies and he was interested but in no way aggressive. Perhaps her relevant size has threatened him in some.

#5 ·
If he's flaring he probably likes her...if shes flaring she likes him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.