Betta Fish Forum banner

Norman!

6K views 71 replies 16 participants last post by  Viva 
#1 ·
So I had a little screw up in the Betta picture place and accidentally put in a picture of Norman, the 6 day old kitten I'll be getting. But that reminded me that I wanted to put pics up of him anyways XD So, here he is!

These were taken when he was a day old and he's already so much bigger! His eyes are already starting to open, the only one in the litter so far! I'll put more pics up tomorrow when I go visit him :D

See less See more
#28 ·
So yesterday all of the kittens decided that fighting was the coolest thing ever and I got some pretty adorable shots... Norman was walking too, but soon decided that was too mainstream and just used his front paws, looking like a seal! Gah! Too cute! I'll try and get more today! Oh, and I get him at seven weeks on the long weekend in May. Yes, it's early, but the owner has four kids. And they're already stepping on the kittens! She's also going away the whole weekend and wants to take her cats, but can't take all those kittens, so she's giving them out the day before she leaves :)

YES! I just found out this video actually uploaded! :D
http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/hkr1/media/039_zps76a264e9.mp4.html

Pictures:

#30 ·
#32 ·
Norman is awfully cute!!!! I am more of a dog type, tho the two cats given to me I certainly enjoyed and loved throughout their years... even tho they were cats. :) My last (young) cat came to the family with my old dog. (rescue APBT) I then brought in new 10 mo. old rescue pup (APBT) even with great pedigree!! :) Young prime kitty runs out from under sofa to show who's boss and swats in her face and back under. No responce... she goes stage 2 where her claws get caught in pups side face... kitty again retreats back under sofa. She thinks "this dog is different". Dog thinks "this is a fun home" :) No cats were hurt. They loved each other forever!!!
Cat learned to respect. :) Is Normans last name "Bates" HA :)

#33 ·
NICE pun! Haha! Yes, that's her- the "addicted teen mom" as we call her. She's "addicted" to canned food and only about a year and a half old, haha. The owner feels so bad about her having them, but hey, nothing can be done now! Mama's getting fixed as soon as all the kittens are gone :)

Yes, I too am more of a dog person, but I do LOVE kittens. Not cats- kittens. Once they hit a year old my mum loves them :)

Here are some pics from today, one showing my face which has never been seen on this site (for good reason!) :)

#34 ·
OMG!!! He's so squee!!! I wish my foster kittens were that young! It's been a while since I've had foster kittens that young... They're so adorable at that age!

#35 ·
Oh I KNOW! He's just so cute! Today he was mewing like NUTS, so his owner picked him up by the scruff and BAM! He was paralyzed or something, I don't know! I tried it and snapped a pick, but we only held him for maybe a second each, so no worries.

#36 ·
What happened to Nomran was normal. When you pick cats up by the scruff, they freeze. It was by instinct so that when a mother cat would try to move the kits/cubs to a new den in the wild they wouldn't move. The kit shouldn't be harmed if you did it right. I shadowed a week at my foster agency vet office, and they did it with the feisty cats all the time. Although when he gets older, you shouldn't do it often unless you really have to.

#38 ·
Oh good, I'm glad it doesn't hurt him! I've had to do it with my current cat when he HAD to be bathed- he jumped out of the tub and was biting me like nuts. He just stared at me evilly and I dried him and all was well LOL

Going over there soon to see him again :) I always ask the owner if I bother her, but when I'm there I distract the kids so she's cool with it XD I have to babysit for them soon anyways :p

#39 ·
Yeah, I only do it when trying to brake up fights between my two 'kings of the house'.

Aww! I wish I could babysit kittens. Right now I'm fostering two brothers who are about 10 months old. Although they're considered unadoptable :cry:, so we're waiting for spots to open for the shelter where our adoption agency house unadoptables.

#40 ·
Oh, I meant the kids, not the kitties! But it's kind of both :p

Here are some pics, they're kinda bad because they had their drapes closed (it's POURING here) and there's only a small lamp in the room.

#42 ·
Well there's "step-daddy" Ali, they're other cat, but the bio dad left poor Suzanne all alone with these kitties. She got out and roamed for a day, so we have no clue :( But they certainly are cute!

#44 ·
GUESS WHO HAS HIS FIRST 3 TEETH?!?!

#45 ·
Omg hes so precious! Look at those wittle teefs!

#46 ·
More pics! Sorry they're fuzzy... He had his first dry food today, and mama is getting angry with them and is starting the weaning process... I have confirmed an appointment for shots and he'll be neutered and declawed at 6 months :)

#47 ·
The owner has converted her downstairs bathroom into their new living area, with the door blocked and the shower closed off. Now plumbing or anything on the floor and everything is kitten proof- plus there's only a teeny bit of carpet, unlike the rest of the basement :) They are having a BLAST down there!

Here's a video:
http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/hkr1/media/034_zps8a0bdfb2.mp4.html

#48 ·
I love how theyre all different colors/patterns!

#49 ·
Don't declaw! Are you fully informed? They have their bones broken and removed to remove the nail. They can't walk for weeks and have their paws taped up to keep them from getting the wound dirty. Get these instead, they are SO much nicer and cuter like painted nails but also cheaper. http://www.softclaws.com/index.php?pet=cat

#61 ·
Don't declaw! Are you fully informed? They have their bones broken and removed to remove the nail. They can't walk for weeks and have their paws taped up to keep them from getting the wound dirty. Get these instead, they are SO much nicer and cuter like painted nails but also cheaper. Welcome to SoftClaws for Cats
I worked at a vet's office, these are EXTREMELY uncomfortable for cats, they can't retract their claws with these on, which makes walking permanently uncomfortable.
Not to mention cats like eating these.
Cheap marketing scheme that pulls at the owner's heartstrings and in the end harms the animal.

I would see if you can declaw him with laser surgery, it's a lot prettier than the traditional way (since I've assisted with both methods). It will probably cost a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device

#50 ·
Sorry, but it's my mum's condition. And they can walk- we got my August declawed and he was prancing and running an hour after e was home. He only had those little taped boots on for two days. I know people say it's horrible, but in all honesty, thinking about all of those cats out there that are feral and unloved, is declawing really that awful? It's really the safest thing I can do, so he doesn't hurt my dogs or my cat, since August wouldn't be able to defend himself. Plus, he'll only be an indoor cat. I know exactly what happens in the procedure and I have had a lengthy conversation with the vet. She assures me that it will be exactly like what happened with my other cat.

#51 ·
Why not the soft claws? The fact is that it is banned in UK, West Hollywood, and some Asian countries.
A study of 163 cats that underwent onychectomy, published in the Jul/Aug 1994 Journal of Veterinary Surgery, showed that 50% suffered from immediate postoperative complications, such as pain, hemorrhage, and lameness; and long-term complications including prolonged lameness, were found in nearly 20% of the 121 cats who were followed up in the study.
In a study published in the January 2001 JAVMA, 33% of 39 cats that underwent onychectomy developed at least one behavior change immediately after surgery, with the most common problems being litter box problems and biting.
The cat's have problems using the litter box and often need very very fine sand so as not to hurt their paws. They bite because they know that they are not equipped for defense with their weapon of choice so use their next weapon which is even more likely for infection they scratches. It's not good and it is like removing your first knuckle.

#64 ·
Why not the soft claws? The fact is that it is banned in UK, West Hollywood, and some Asian countries.

A study of 163 cats that underwent onychectomy, published in the Jul/Aug 1994 Journal of Veterinary Surgery, showed that 50% suffered from immediate postoperative complications, such as pain, hemorrhage, and lameness; and long-term complications including prolonged lameness, were found in nearly 20% of the 121 cats who were followed up in the study.
In a study published in the January 2001 JAVMA, 33% of 39 cats that underwent onychectomy developed at least one behavior change immediately after surgery, with the most common problems being litter box problems and biting.

The cat's have problems using the litter box and often need very very fine sand so as not to hurt their paws. They bite because they know that they are not equipped for defense with their weapon of choice so use their next weapon which is even more likely for infection they scratches. It's not good and it is like removing your first knuckle.
Just saying, that study was in 1994. Twenty years ago. I am quite sure these things have become much safer.

And I looked constantly for lazer- I live in a tiny rural community. There is not much going on here and I extremely lucky to find the woman I did. She may not do lazer, but I trust her entirely.

#52 ·
Every cat we have had in my house has been declawed. There have never been any complications whatsoever and no litter box issues except after the surgery when we use the kind that doesn't get in the wound. All of the cats we have had have never bitten (except August when I hold him for too long, he only meows when in pain) and I know all of this. This is happening and cannot be changed, as I don't want to tell my mum that I don't want him to be declawed and lose him to a home that will be horrible. I know exactly who will be swooping in and taking him if I don't, and that home will be awful.

Let me absolutely blunt and perfectly clear: Norman will be declawed. It is not illegal in Canada and not up for debate on this site. I am aware of "complications" that have never happened at the vet I am going to. They have been declawing for over 20 years and I have searched for months to find the best of the best, including extra assistance in the operating room. You will not change my mind on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.