Betta Fish Forum banner

Any good 2 gal tanks you can recommend?

938 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  freeflow246 
#1 ·
In a month or two, I'd like to move Jalen to a bigger tank. He doesn't seem unhappy in his 1 gal, but I do feel like it is a bit cramped, and if I miss even one cleaning, I'm afraid it would get pretty dirty. Don't worry, I've been on top of things so far, but you know how things can happen.
Anyway, the Petco near me sells some 2.5 gal tanks, and while it might fit on my bedside table, I'm not positive that it will. That .5 gal might make the difference between it fitting and not. Also, my mom was a bit leery about me setting a container of water on her antique table, and I don't want to push her patience too far.
And before anyone asks, I have cats, so I need to keep him in my room, and that table is all that's available. So far they've shown no interest in him, but you know how they can be.... >.>

#2 ·
There are so many different shapes your best bet would be to just take measurements. An argument you could tell your mom is that if you get a bigger tank you will do less water changes leaving less of a chance that water will be at the bottom. Or you could just get a cover for the table. That is what I do...

#3 ·
I have a 3 gallon on my bedside table and it takes up less space then the 1.75 bowl I had before. It comes with an LED light/airstone and a filter. I only use the LED light but I did use the filter when I was on vacation and it worked fine.
Here's the link to it on walmart but you can only buy it in-store I think:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-Bubbling-LED-Half-Moon-Aquarium-Kit-1ct/16940357

and heres a pic of mine on my nightstand:
Light Room Interior design Glass Organism

#4 ·
I would reccomend at least 5 gallon, but you say you don't have room. So I would recommend maybe a kit which would come with the tank and a few other items. You should be able to find a 2 gallon one at petsmart,petco and maybe walmart.

#5 ·
Petco has a 2 gallon hex that is quite nice in size, uses a good well designed filter that can be submerged (the floss cartridge doesn't allow "over the top" bypass) to reduce flow and for the most part the moonlights have been dead on reliable. All three of mine lost their daylight by seven months and one power supply burned out (I think from a bad power bar).

So, its a nice 2g hex with a useful lid that you can swing a desk lamp over.
Take the cartridge out of the filter and wedge in a honking chunk of sponge then hang it as low as possible.
Add a nice controllable small heater.
Total cost: $30 + $15 + $15 + $5 + gravel, ornaments etc.

Or
Go to walmart and buy a 5g "aqua tech" kit, buy a heater, put a sponge in-over-and-down-out in place of the bio-filter fiber trash and then ornament as you like. $27.00 for the kit, $15 for the adjustable heater, it uses screw in bulbs and outlet AC power.

Trust me, go with the 5g kit from Walmart. The filter's actually a Marineland 100!

#6 ·
Petsmart sells a nice little 2.5 gallon with a lid included. It's sturdy (proven because my sister's 10 pound cat likes to lay on top of it) and the lid also comes with an attachable handle that you can place where you want. The lid is definitely glass, but I'm not so sure on the actual tank because it doesn't quite sound like glass when tapped.

#9 ·
Thanks guys! I know that the Petco less than five minutes from me sells that 2.5 Aqueon tank, so I'll try to find the measurements on their website and see if it would fit. If not, I'll try that 3 gal hex (I have an Aqueon right now, and am very satisfied with it, so I'd prefer to stay with that brand).
Thanks again!

#10 ·
The only place I can really put my fish tank is on a book shelf. It's a 1.5g and I was thinking of getting a 2.5g, too... I measured it out, and I went to my local petsmart and measured out some tanks. The 2.5 was way smaller than what I thought, and surprisingly (as ridiculous as I felt doing it at the time) the 5g I fell in love with was just big enough for me to put on the shelf ^.^ There were some 3g's that were nice, but they ended up being too tall.. My point is, you should definitely take out measurements of your side table if you're iffy on a situation. You'll never know what will really fit until you get a solid idea of what your limits are ^.^

#11 ·
Thanks! I'll do that. A 5 gal definitely wouldn't fit, though. My 1 gal takes up almost half of the table's length, so that's why I'm not sure if a 2.5 would fit or not.

#12 ·
I have mine in a 2 gallon rectangle tank that I got at PetCo for 15$. It didnt come with a lid so I made one using plastic canvas
Here is a picture of the tank And it sets on the dining table nicely Hubby and I play with Bllizzard during dinner He loves chasing the silverware up and down as we eat

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.