Betta Fish Forum banner

Is my tank too small?

808 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LadyVictorian 
#1 ·
I just bought my Betta in August and have had him in this nifty clock tank. He seems completely fine and happy but I wanted to make sure it wasn't too small for him! I posed a picture but when I looked at it, the picture made the tank look smaller then it really is, I think. Therefore I took the measurements of the tank. It is 4 inches high, 3.5 inches wide, and 5.5 inches long.

Thanks for your opinion!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
This tank is far too small, you should be cleaning this out twice a day. Like said 1 gallon is bare minimum with a heater. A tank this size can't support a heater and your fish will live a very short life in it. Betta if well cared for can live 5 to 7 years, some even 10 years. In a tank like this it's average 1 to 2 years if that because they get very ill very easily. Also he doesn't have any cover or shelter. Silk plants and a cave are best for betta. I would say if you want that clock tank put something not alive in it but pretty like colorful rock and get your betta a nice tank.

#6 · (Edited)
Here is a cheap tank that is 2.5 gallons you can buy for your betta and you can get nice tanks for even cheaper. This one even comes with a filter, same one I have in my tank that works great. You can get heaters from wallmart for like $14 and silk plants are pretty cheap if you buy the three pack which they also have at petco. Walmart has cheap drift wood caves too.

http://www.petco.com/product/119280...px?CoreCat=MM_FishSupplies_FishTanksAquariums
This tank has very nice light settings as well for night time.

This tank is a 1.8 and made by the same company. It's still a very nice tank and a little cheaper than the 2.5 tank.

http://www.petco.com/product/119281...1.8 Gallon Hex-Shaped LED Aquarium Kit-119281

Also heaters never heat above what they are set at. Betta's need a temp between 78-84 to be really happy and healthy. Some heaters like the $14 one at wallmart are preset to 78, when the water temp rises above 78 it shuts off and when it drops bellow 78 it turns on and has worked great in tanks under 5 gallons.

Even if the water looks clean the tank could be toxic from ammonia. Anything over .50 ammonia is fatal to fish. If you can buy an ammonia liquid API water test kit you can test the water to see where it's at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.