Betta Fish Forum banner

Not sure if tank is too small, or too cluttered...

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Syriiven 
#1 ·
I've had my darling betta Phycondrias for nearly five months now. When he was in his cup we bought him in from the store, he was docile, but had a full tail. About a month after moving him to his new tank, he started biting his fins. And he hasn't really stopped even though we've been settled in our new place for four months. I've tried keeping the temperature of the room in a comfortable 26-30 degree Celsius zone, though sometimes it gets a bit warmer in the tank. He has a gentle filter, and I don't keep the light on terribly long, since he gets partial natural sunlight all day. So I'm wondering if the tank is too small, or too cluttered. Too colorful? Not enough hidey spaces? The pH is fine, and he's in the same room we're in most often when at home.

This is what his tank looks like, 2.5 gallons..should I move up to 5 so he has more space and I can add more variety?

See less See more
#5 ·
D= I did remove some that seemed more sharp, but I thought broader leaved ones would be safer. I dont have the resources for real plants...are there dangers with the more fabric like fake plants? Not sure if they're silk or some other fabric.

#7 ·
I wondered about that. It's not strong, and he seems to use it's current to let his food come to him sometimes. But so far he has seemed rather tempermental...I just never know if he's happy or upset. =/ And I really dont want to stress him out >.<

#11 ·
I had that same tank, and the filter can be too strong at the intake/uptake tube, it was too much for my poor little Shela and i actually found her stuck to it one day.:cry: I have moved her to a smaller unfiltered tank.
so you may want to buy a different filter for this tank to cycle it. or add a sponge prefilter to it.

#12 ·
Oh no! I'm glad you saved her. :) I'm leaning towards the bigger tank, simply for the room and more options in decor (some of the fabric pants at teh store are pretty big) and I'll look for a lower-flo filter. Any you reccommend? brand or flo-speed?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.