Betta Fish Forum banner

sorority and cories in a 10g?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Fawnleaf 
#1 ·
Could this work? 5 female bettas and 4 pygmy cories.

At first I thought that tank mates are a big no-no in sororities, but pygmy cories stay so small. I did the AQ advisor and with 4 pygmy cories and 5 female Bettas I'm 93% stocked. I'll be doing 50% weekly water changes, PH is 8.0, temp is 79, and I have gravel as substrate.

Can I keep the pygmies and the females?

#3 ·
Baylee767,

I have a question for you, since you keep a sorority!

Do the females in the sorority try to rip up each other's fins? I'd like to maybe do a sorority at some point, but I'm wary of any carnage that might ensue...

My current (and only) female betta is severely agressive. I couldn't picture her in a sorority - but she is also a year old. Do you have to get them as tiny fry? Do they have to be related to get along?

Cheryl

PS: I have 3 brass/green cories in with the above-mentioned female betta. She killed one, and tolerate the three remaining... I believe the survivors are the 'smart ones', who give in to her and don't challange her 'superior-ness'.

#4 ·
I keep a sorority so I can answer your questions.
They will nip and bite fins for the first week while establishing a pecking order, but it is usually nothing that won't grow back in 1 to 2 weeks. They do not have to be near each other as babies or be related to get along. It all depends on the fish and their personality.

#5 ·
Shinybetta,

One last question (ok, two):

So, can the females be any age when brought together? Or would you try to get all fry? I'm guessing that fry (related or non) would have less developed personalities and be more malleable when it comes to learning to live together.

Thank you for answering my questions. There is so much to learn here!

Cheryl

#8 ·
Thank you... now I understand more about sororities!

It's nice to know that it's possible to have more than one of these betta beauties in a tank.

As for the one I already have, she'll stay in her small community tank, where she's queen of all she surveys, lol!

Cheryl :)

#9 ·
lol. I have a female just like that! Tried to add her to one of my sorority tanks and she almost killed one of the females.. She is now in a 2.5g all by herself. She is perfectly fine with that. haha.
Also..Make sure to have a lot of hiding places so your females can get away from eachother if they need to..

#11 ·
In my experience, adult females are more aggressive. But thats only because all my fish come from pet stores, so they have never been housed with other fish making them more solitary and weary of other bettas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.