Betta Fish Forum banner

Fishy Friends?

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  TheBlueBettaFish 
#1 ·
I'm on a small debate on giving Fishy some friends.
He has been alone for the year or so that I've had him.
He is in a 3.5 gallon tank.
What fish would go well with him?

#4 ·
i don't do anything for my snails! i accidently got one in one of my betta's bags an dnow i literally have 431 of them and i dont do anything with them. they eat what my bettas don't. i don't know about shrimp though.

#6 ·
For your tank size I would get a snail. I have a snail (Avon is his name) living with my Guppies and sucker fish and they go toghether GREAT. And they also go calmly with Bettas. So that's a good choice, I think. :)

P.S. (Snails are algae eaters. So if you don't have algae in your tank, buy Algae Wafers at your local pet store. If you DO have algae in you tank, he eats it right up!)

#7 ·
Okay
So if I get a snail is it asexual and reproduce with itself?
I don't wanna get one and then my betta tank is over run with snails and I'd have to keep putting them into my 75 gallon chiclids.

#17 ·
So I got 2 mystery snails. Small ones.
They don't seem to be moving much. The place I bought it from just said to plop em in. I did just that and they don't seem to be moving much. They were upside down, so I righted them/they still don't seem to be moving much.
Could my betta be pestering them when I'm not around?

#20 ·
An update on the snails

Woke up this morning, fed the animals. Brought the dog, cat and guinea pig bowels into the kitchen/lined them up in front of the betta tank (which is next to the pantry).
Filled the bowels, checked my betta tank. Fishy is swimming around, snails have moved. I found the Green Mystery snail on the left side, sucking on the tank wall. And I found the Black Mystery snail on the right side hiding inside one of the plants.
I gave the tank lid a little tap with my nail (lets Fishy know the food is coming) and fed Fishy. Fed the rest of the animals, left the kitchen for 5 mins, came back and I found the green snail sucking on the tank thermometer (thats on the opposite side of where he was). Thought to myself, "WOW! He moved rather quickly"
Left to do more morning stuff, came back in about 10 mins and found the green snail digging around in the gravel in the front. I checked on the black snail/he hasn't moved much. I can see his "body" moving ever so slightly, so I guess he is still alive. But I'm happy atleast 1 snail is settling in.
Here are some photos

Fishy checking the snail out

MOM!! What is that?!?!

Got any ideas for names?

#21 ·
Mystery snails love fresh blanched vegetables. They need calcium for nice thick shell growth.I feed mine spinach,collard greens,kale,carrots,romaine lettuce,cucumber,zucchini.Just about any vegetable/green blanched. Mine didn't care to much for algae wafers...and they're much more active when fed veggies I think.:)

#23 ·
Mystery snails love fresh blanched vegetables. They need calcium for nice thick shell growth.I feed mine spinach,collard greens,kale,carrots,romaine lettuce,cucumber,zucchini.Just about any vegetable/green blanched. Mine didn't care to much for algae wafers...and they're much more active when fed veggies I think.:)
blanched?

#22 ·
Update on Black Snail

I checked on the tank about an hour or so ago and saw that my black snail is out and about.
He or she looks pretty happy in there. And I am happy that he/or she is FINALLY settling it.
Here are photos, BTW, he/or she will be needing a name as well

#25 ·
I have an Apple snail in my 10gal, I've had his for about 2-3months and he's not big at all! He;s normal sized. XP

Fishy Friends-

Betta's: Tom, Sarah, Shark, Red

Guppies: Trouble, Molly, Claire

Algae Eaters: Avon (snail), Sprite (sucker fish)

Fry: 16 guppy fry :shock:

:blueyay:TheBlueBettaFish:blueyay:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.