Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #751 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The 2 week thing isn't just so they can get used to each other but also for a quarantine period since not all diseases and illnesses show up right away. It is very important that you adhere (everyone, not just you BettaMummy) to the minimum of 2 weeks in QT but preferably 4 weeks since you don't want to kill off your sorority with Columnaris or anything opportunistic!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 AM   #752 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
The 2 week thing isn't just so they can get used to each other but also for a quarantine period since not all diseases and illnesses show up right away. It is very important that you adhere (everyone, not just you BettaMummy) to the minimum of 2 weeks in QT but preferably 4 weeks since you don't want to kill off your sorority with Columnaris or anything opportunistic!!
Lol, no. I QT then they do a community acclimation stint in the floating box. :)
BettaMummy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #753 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, see I QT and acclimate at the same time which is where my confusion came in there :)
Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM   #754 
BettaMummy87

I dont have a decent qt container I can float in-tank yet, otherwise I would. :P
Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM   #755 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I just use their cups they come in (though I know some stores just bag them) and I use twisty ties hooked over one edge of the cup and then over the rim of the tank to keep them mostly stationary. If the tank has a rim you can tuck the twisty tie under the rim to keep it there.
Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM   #756 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I just use their cups they come in (though I know some stores just bag them) and I use twisty ties hooked over one edge of the cup and then over the rim of the tank to keep them mostly stationary. If the tank has a rim you can tuck the twisty tie under the rim to keep it there.

In the UK they come in bags, as they are kept in tanks in the shops. No cups, which is a good thing on the whole, reading about how few stores in the US seem to maintain the water. I may just try and sealant a breeding box, so it is gapless and still floats. :) Good idea though, something to think on for sure. :D Saves two weeks of restricted space for the fishy. :)
Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM   #757 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can use food storage containers too, most are frosted but you might find some that are more clear that you can use. :)
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #758 
BettaMummy87

Yeah, I only had frosted, so decided against that. I do have an open tube of sealant though, as I am sorting my spawning/growout tank. So now I have a use for the leftover sealant. Only have three days then thats like, half a tube wasted D:
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #759 
Deadflwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMummy87 View Post
This is similar to what I do! :D I don't always wait two weeks, just til everything seems stable and then release on a day that I am home to monitor them. Works a charm. Mine have been bought in pairs over about 4 months and added this way. May yet add one or two more.
I buy mine in pairs as well. Unless i cant find one i want. Yeah sometimes its sooner sometimes later that I release them. It does all depend.
I'm glad I wait because I bought two females. They were in the same tank and seemed to get along. So they were going to finish out my collection. I got them home placed them in their containers. Well during the week one had a bubble nest in her little container. It was a male plaket. The thing I noticed was my girls were all a little beat up except one female. So him being in the tank (even though he was separate from them) caused some squabbles.
Deadflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #760 
BettaMummy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadflwr View Post
I buy mine in pairs as well. Unless i cant find one i want. Yeah sometimes its sooner sometimes later that I release them. It does all depend.
I'm glad I wait because I bought two females. They were in the same tank and seemed to get along. So they were going to finish out my collection. I got them home placed them in their containers. Well during the week one had a bubble nest in her little container. It was a male plaket. The thing I noticed was my girls were all a little beat up except one female. So him being in the tank (even though he was separate from them) caused some squabbles.

There are always males that will catch us out! I've been got once... possibly twice but I am doubting it. I am thinking of taking my DT 'female' out and seeing what heppens. But as I have had her for a few months now, most of that in the 'sorority' with my weirdo male HM who wont live without the girls, I expect she is a her. Yoshio hates males. Thats how I found out my male PK was a male PK :P

Plakats are at an advantage over other males. Less finnage = better swimming. They can keep up with the girlies. Could be that that one female is not ready to breed. I find that Yoshio completely ignores certain females, but it is linked to who looks eggy or not. He'll swim right past a non-eggy female without a care, but always shows off for the others.

(I know, I have a male in my sorority, but trust me I have tried several times to remove him, but him and the females all get weirdly depressed when I do. :S)

Last edited by BettaMummy87; Today at 11:49 AM.