Betta Fish Forum banner

newbie question on external filters?

457 views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  BettaMummy87 
#1 ·
Hi everyone just joined :) from a very soggy united kingdom!

I currently have 2 stunning boys Eric (in my pic) and dumbo fighter called Dunbo, they are currently in community tanks happy as larry.
my question is..... I would love to have 3 boys next to each other seperatley, but i'm worried about filtration.
(i understand about mimimal water movement etc. and the fact they dont really need it.. but i'd be happier if they did)

So the advice i need is...My idea is to use one external pump with splitters to cover all 3 ,10 litres tanks, and the spray bar that would enter all 3 tanks is this possible?

If so can anyone post any pics of the pipe work and pump used etc or generally give any advice on this...
should I scrap this idea, and just buy 3 indivdal pumps? I'm just a bit worried with heater and filter the poor boys wont have much space..
thanks in advance.

#2 ·
You could get an air pump and three sponge filters. You can buy 3-way spliters for air pumps pretty cheap off of ebay.

When im on the pc I can help with the external filter, but its not as easy as it looks all that piping.

also, no matter what pet stores say they certainly need filters. :)

#3 · (Edited)
thanks for quick reply :)
ooh ive never heard of that? how does that work?
I run eheim externals on my 3 big tanks, so all i know is eheim lol.
Trying to find a small external one in the uk that isnt overkill is seeming to be quite hard, i'm open to all sugestions
(all i seem to find is c*** chinese cheap ones.. not going there)

#4 · (Edited)
I run an eheim classic 250 on my 64litre and love it. When I move house I am going to set mine up close enough to share a big filter. Eden filters are okay and their externals have an inbuilt heater. XD less stuff in tanks sounds great to me.

the easiest way to run them all off one external would probanly be with a sump system.

Sponge filters are great for sensitive fish and fry, they are also nice and cheap. Will update with a link to a few now. :)

EDIT:

Double Sponge only: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hot-A...7?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a1a0af2d9

Single Sponge only: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquarium-...9?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item1c3cbfb9ff

Sponge & Biochemical corner: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biochemic...7?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item1c42d60d47

Then its just airline tubing, a decent enough airpump and something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Ways-St...1?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item1c439d2999

I'm looking into the last type myself. I would prefer filtering with something other than just sponge XD

#6 ·
Are we talking as in the pump that attaches to airstones that creates bubbles?
how does it work? doesnt air blow through, not suck it in...
is that how the bio-orb tanks work then?
I cannot thank you enough for your advice

#7 ·
Its quite alright, nice to have another UK member. Not many of us. ^-^

I have an Eden 325 atm, which is one of their larger internals I think. Its been fine so far, no hitches. Cleans the water well in my 80L. The 511 is about £20 more and is the one where the integrated heating starts, but that is the only reason i am looking at that one. IF the inbuilt heater isnt a must, the 501 seems good to me. I kinda wish I'd gone external on the community tank to start with.

I also love the idea of a childlock on the filter, but I have kids.

As for the air pumps, yep, exactly the same as runs an airstone. ^-^ I think the air bubbles coming through draw the water in... not 100%, just know they work XD

#8 · (Edited)
A sponge filter is different from an air stone n that it uses a long rigid tube with holes inserted into the sponge, that the airline tubing goes into. As the air escapes the tubing and goes up the rigid tube, the smaller holes in the rigid tube suck in water and pull it up with the air, thus creating a very mild suction (completely harmless to tiny shrimp and betta fins).
If you remove the rigid tube with holes and just stuff the airline tubing into a sponge then you simply have a soft air stone as the air will escape all over the sponge instead of up the narrow rigid tube. Hope that helped explain it.

Btw I personally love sponge filters for small tanks/betta tanks, it creates surface agitation from the bubbles breaking the surface but no flow to push/suck the fish around. They don't clog up the way a hang on back filter that you put a foam baffle/pre-filter/cover on the intake and outflow can, and don't really need cleaned. When you get an air pump for a sponge filter put some foam or a towel, or even just a thick/fluffy rag under it to help reduce vibrations.
I use Jardin mini cylinder sponge filter for my 2g and 3g betta tanks, they are hooked up to 1 Tetra whisper 10 air pump that has a 4 way air line splitter (I just use 2 of them, others are sealed) They have valves that let you control how strong the air flow/bubbles are. I wrap the air pump in a old pillow case and stuff it on a lower shelf from the tanks so its out of sight and out of mind ^^

#9 ·
I thought those links were uk!! made my life so much easier!

i love my externals!! i have 2213's but willing to try this sponge idea first.
I'm embarrased to say i have a baby bi-orb 15L and that runs on an air pump, never thought anything of it, except the filter as being not as good as my eheim. Never thought how it worked lol
(i just know the waters always fine lol)

What kind of air pump size will i need, will the splitter cause the pressure to drop?

Technically i will have a 30litre tank.. but should i go for one with a 50-60 or will the pressure be to much for the bettas?
as i know they dont like to much noise and waterflow..

#10 ·
You can get air pumps with output restrictors, cost a bit more, but could be worth it. Splitting three ways would probably reduce it a bit, but I think the 50-60 would be okay. Personally i would go up rather than get a 30L one, but thats just me. I'd worry it would be too little, otherwise.

I have always wondered how Bioorbs filters work... never had one here to pick apart though XD

I really love my eheim, I got it as a bundle off ebay with the tank and stand, etc. Bargain for everything I got! Really would consider spending the ££ to get the Eheim with integrated heating if I have the money when hubby and I get our own place :D Such great filters, and real quiet.

#11 ·
Thanks Aqua Aurora, deffo noted!! and well described, i took my bi-orb apart yesterday, couldnt figure how it worked, makes sence now! :)

Yeah that was my thought exactly BettaMummy87.. think i will go larger, easy to turn them down on the splitter as Aqua Aurora says, rather then have no pressure or filtration.
Thanks guys appreciate the input... when the tanks are up and running i'll post some pics.

I'm now guna whizz off and spend some cash!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.