Betta Fish Forum banner

Marimo balls...

7K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  AngelicScars 
#1 ·
Alright id like to pick up a few of these guys today:

I saw them at the petco a few towns south, and im headed that way today ne how!

I was wondering if i could cut it and mold it around a piece of drift wood, tie it on with some dental floss or something till it adheres? or will this not work? Also ill put one in my sorority, but just as the ball, i think they are so cool and interesting looking! Do they need any serious light? or pretty low light? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
i found this info alexx:

Well, for one thing, this algae is a dream-come-true aquarium inhabitant. Its an exception to that "avoid algae at all costs" rule most aquarists have. Tame as they may look, these guys are like nutrient vacuums and will out compete practically any other algae which tries to grow in the same water body as itself. This, of course, keeps the water that it grows in crystal clear. Marimo is non-invasive too, so it won't spread and infest the tank it grows in, but remain in its ball form. Also, Marimo can actually move around by itself! Well...almost. It traps air bubbles when it photosynthesizes and under high light conditions, it traps enough air to move around the tank(if there are more bubbles on one side) or even float. Thus its not unusual to see it in one corner of its tank in the morning and at a different location in the evening.

Hardiness: Just won't die.
Growth speed: Sloth personified
Generally, Marimo is extremely hardy and it is actually very difficult to kill... They will survive in temperatures between 3-30 degrees C, with a preference for cooler water. . Marimo is very forgiving when it comes to light as well. Basically, if you see it producing bubbles of oxygen you've got a good spot. Note that it will stop doing this when the carbon dioxide in the water runs low.

#6 ·
ya it should be fine growing on the driftwood, BOIL the driftwood first though!

#8 ·
I have 2 of these one is in my Soriety and the other is in my 44 gallon. I have had them for several months and they do grow very slow. They may float when you fisrt put them in your tank but do not worry they will sink shortly. Very, very easy to take care of. I personally would not tear them appart because they look very pretty as a ball.

#10 ·
for your driftwood, boil the water until it stops turning brown, it wont hurt the tank to have tanins in it, but, itll take a month or 2 to get it out. i boiled my driftwood for hours and hours to get it all out, and kept changing the water every few hours. and let it cool obviously before u put it in.

ya i like the ball shape too, the stores never seem to look too good when i look for some though

#11 ·
actually heres a funny story, i finally met my inlaws this past august. the weekend they came down, i was boiling my driftwood, 3 large pieces, it turned out one piece i had to boil basically 12 hours a day for 3 days! my motherinlaw kept laughing at me telling me how she was gonna go home and tell everyone what a crazy nut for a daughterinlaw she had. boiling wood for 3 days, can u imagine? lol

she said, never in all my 65 years have i ever seen wood being boiled.........lol

#12 ·
LOL Thats funny. I got moss balls off of ebay they came all the way from Hong Kong.

#13 ·
ya i love the look of them, i keep my eye out for them everywhere
i think its really cool how they can move around the tank too

#14 ·
So... the petco i visited was awful! the moss balls they had were very... icky looking most of the plants were dead and black.... i decided to not buy from them. But there is a petco right near where im going ot dinner 2night, so i might stop in there if the g/f lets me, she wouldnt even come in to petco today hahha. I really want a few!

#31 ·
That's funny my boyfriend always waits in the car when I go to fish stores and he say's he'll leave me there if I don't come out in 10 minutes!

I also bought my balls off ebay, they came in great condition and I've had them for over 2 years. I have 3 in my 3 gallon and 4 in my 50 gallon. they grow very slowly. They can break up and become more smaller balls. I haven't broken them apart myself, but 2 of my larger ones broke up on there own and became smaller balls that aren't as well shaped.

#15 ·
I'm so excited to get mine. I've always wanted them, they're cute and very pracitical. I hope my boy likes his. I just have to remember to go buy a light for his tank, lol.

#17 ·
#20 ·
Its not hard Alex and they are alot cheaper on ebay. Just make sure to check out the sellers rateing on there it is a good way to know if they are ligit or not.

#23 ·
alexxx i dont know if you already know this, but i figured id share this info. i read that because they also filter water, that taking them and squeezing them out in used tank water about once a month will keep them healthy, clean and fresher to filter the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.