Betta Fish Forum banner

should i get a filter?

933 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Oldfishlady 
#1 ·
Hi fish forum =)
I will be getting a 3 gal tank for my new betta, but im not sure whether or not to get a filter. For a small tank like a 3 gal, is it worth it to try to cycle it? Im guessing that without a filter i will be changing 50% of the water twice a week, and with, 50% once a week. Is it hard to get the cycle going in a small tank? I already have a filter so it's not a matter of buying it...im new to fish care so I don't want anything bad to happen to my new betta if i do something wrong. Should I just do without trying to cycle it? Any advice?
Stupid question: Would it be more cost effective to treat my tap water, or to buy bottled water since it isnt a very big tank?
Please forgive my ignorance, as I said im a total newbie when it comes to fish, but I have already fallen in love with my new buddy! (just got him today for a b-day present)

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

In the smaller tanks-filters can sometimes be the cause of fin damage...not always...but with some of the longer fin males the water flow can really do some damage especially if the water current is strong....

Without a filter in 3gal tank-I would make at least 1-100% water change and 1-50% water change a week to maintain water quality and fin health

With a filter-50% twice weekly and the tank will cycle and you can safely cycle the tank with the Betta provided that you make the twice weekly water changes.....during the nitrogen cycle the twice weekly water changes are to maintain water quality...once the nitrogen cycle is completed...one 50% is for water quality and the other is for fin health...make sure and clean the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip with one of the twice weekly water changes.....

It is best to use tap water along with a good dechlorinator...this way you will also provide the needed minerals the Betta needs for long term health...often the bottle water filtration process will lack these needed minerals...

Water temp is really important-you may need to add a heater to maintain a stable water temp in the 76-80F range and a good thermometer is helpful too that can be used to monitor tank water.......and the water used for water changes as well...its important to try and keep the replacement water for water changes within a couple of degrees between new and old water to prevent temp shock issues....

Look forward to seeing some pics and hearing more about your Betta....

#3 ·
thanks so much! :)

Looking at his fin today I think he has fin rot. It seems to have gotten worse from yesterday when I got him. Its really minor and he is a light color so I didn't notice anything was wrong when I bought him (also a betta newbie) Can someone confirm if this is fin rot please?

He has a heater now and I'm thinking I should keep him in the bowl until the fin rot clears up. I will put some pictures. I'm going to do 100% water change everyday and aquarium salt for 10 days. I hope it helps I luv him so much already! How much aquarium salt should I put in a bowl that takes about 8 cups? (His real home will be at least a 3 gal tank)

Water Bridge River Sky Waterway

Aquarium Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium

Gravel Dish Cuisine

#4 ·
By looking at his fins they don't look that bad...a bit roughed up.....maybe..

For the 10day aquarium salt treatment

If you bought him in one of those small ups...these are great for QT treatment containers....attach it to the inside of the heated tank to maintain water temp

Its easier to pre-mix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water
Add 1tsp/gal aquarium salt
If you have any tannins from oak leaves or Indian almond leaf...add this to the pre-mixed treatment water to steep
Use this treatment water for 100% daily water changes for 10 days
Feed small frequent meals of high protein foods

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.