Betta Fish Forum banner

i think he's blind...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Luimeril 
#1 ·
or at least partly. D:

my new white HMPK. looks like he might have some dragon scaling going on, because he has this really thick patch of scales near his head, and a bit of the scaling on his one eye. it bugs me a little, actually. xD but, he's so cute and curious.

well, i decided to feed him. most bettas i've owned, even new ones, greet me when i go by their tank, then notice the food right away, zooming up and gobbling as much as they can. new fella? not at all. in fact, he didn't notice the pellets till they started falling, then took too long to realize they were food, and they fell into his rocks. i might take the rocks out, because it takes him so long to realize they're food. he doesn't even see other bettas, even the bright orange Zidane went un-noticed, and he was wiggling and flaring up a storm(i didn't realize he could see the new fella until just a bit ago. >.>).

how would i be able to tell for sure, if the new guy's blind(or partly blind) or not? D:

#2 ·
Luimeril~ I don't know enough about bettas to advise you on this one. But I suggest getting one of those leaf hammocks. I have one in my 5 gal tank. At feeding time, I do a little feeding directly over the leaf hammock. That way, the food remains on the plastic leaf, giving my betta a chance to eat it before it would quickly sink to the bottom. Just a thought for your sight-challenged guy..

http://www.petdiscounters.com/Betta-Bed-Leaf-Hammock_p_17943.html

#3 ·
i'll pick one up while i'm at the pet store returning his 2.5. i didn't even think of that! he's swimming around right now, nomming pellets that fly up as he's scooting about. blind or not, he's special in some way. x-X a tad slow on things, that's for sure.

#4 · (Edited)
Eh... can you get a pic of this?

Sorry to ask a question in your thread.. it's just beforeyou described it as white specks, and both of Neons eyes have little white specks on them. He does have many slight deformities... and in certain light his pupils glare red.

About your boy though, better to have half vision then no vision at all!

#5 ·
yeah, he's got a white speck on his one eye. it's kinda like.... cloudy white, like the blind bettas you see on Aquabid. >.> i'm gonna try to get pics of him today, since he's just so pretty and i love showing off my pet store finds.

fed him just a bit ago, and he didn't even notice the pellets till they fell. he didn't even get them all when he stalked them to the bottom. D:

#7 ·
he gets around pretty good. i see him bump into the side of the tank often, though. he's taking things very slow, not swimming very fast at all. my poor Theo. i'll just have to make sure to not get any sharp things for his tank, is all. :3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.