Betta Fish Forum banner

Help me write a fish guide!

666 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BakaMandy 
#1 ·
So my coworker wants me to write a guide on taking care of fish for her and some of her friends who keep trying to have Betta fish as pets and... well... fail. ):

She told me to include everything and anything (something she might regret saying xD), so for the last couple of weeks I've been doing research and writing something that's now a little over 6 pages and 3000 words (I'm a slow writer cause I get easily distracted =v=;;)

But since I'm writing this massive guide, I figured I'd put it on the internet someplace after it's finished :)

But first I got to finish it! So I'm wondering if you guys want to help me :D

So far this is the section list that I've got written.
IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT YOU WANT TO ADD OR MENTION, EVEN IF I MIGHT HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED IT, PLEASE POST IT!
I might've missed an important detail!

INDEX
001. PICKING YOUR FISH
(Information on betta fish
Things to look for in a healthy betta)

002. BRINGING A BETTA FISH HOME
(The importance of preparing for your fish and conditioning your fish to its new tank)
----002a. TANKS
(Size and importance)
----002b. FILTERS
(Types of filters and their benefits
Includes: POWER FILTERS, BIOWHEEL FILTERS, CANISTER FILTERS, INTERNAL FILTERS, SPONGE FILTERS, UNDER GRAVEL FILTERS
Reducing current in certain filter models ***IF PEOPLE HAVE TIPS PLEASE POST THEM!***)

----002c. WATER CONDITIONER
(The importance of water condition and the benefits
Includes section on the benefits of Stress Coat and PRIME)

----002d. HEATER/THERMOMETER
(The importance of heaters and the benefits
When and where to use heaters
Alternate methods to heat tanks/bowls)

----002e. ORNAMENTS
(Includes:
Why is it beneficial to have ornaments in a tank
Safe ornaments for betta fish aka that won't tear their fins
Substrate (benefits of Substrate, gravel vs sand, etc.)

Backgrounds, why or why not to use them
Plants real or fake?
How to care for live plants ***IMPORTANT, I need someone who has knowledge on taking care of live plants***)

----002f. FOOD
(Betta fish diet and schedule feeding
Types of food, freeze dried vs live
Freeze dried feeding instructions)

003. HEALTH
----003a. CYCLING

(Importance of cycling and how to cycle a tank ***Need a little info on fish and fishless cycling***
Info about Biological aquarium supplements)

----003b. WATER CHANGES
(Importance of water changes
The importance of aged water)

----003c. AQUARIUM SALT
(The importance and uses of aquarium salt
When to use aquarium salt ei. Not with Live Plants or scaleless fish, etc. ***AM I MISSING ANY?***
The uses and difference between a Salt Dip and a Salt Bath)

----003d. BETTAFIX/MELAFIX
(When to use bettafix/Melafix
The pros and cons, since there's argument about whether or not bettafix/melafix is healthy to use in treating fish)

004. DISEASES
(Yeah. Stuff about the most common betta fish sicknesses and how to treat it.)
I'm going to add plenty of pictures and create a .PDF file so that people can print it out into a nice booklet.

I'm not planning to mention anything about breeding since this is a "care" guide.

I might also need proof readers once I'm done because I fail at writing something that's not gibberish lol OTL...

And of course I'll mention that you guys helped write it >v< :love:

:thankyou:

See less See more
#4 ·
Hmmmm... it's hard to tell unless we can read the actual text in the indexes.

How about equipment needed for water changes (siphon, algae scrubber)

And I don't see anything about testing the water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph and the different types of test kits - what to use and what to avoid ect....

#5 · (Edited)
Importance of aged water... what is the importance?! Aging it outgasses the chlorine but not chloramines or heavy metals. Perhaps you should write on the importance of conditioning water?

Plants... I'd say the number one tip is that you can't just buy any plant. If you swing by the store and pick up a plant like cambomba for your tank it will die within a few weeks from lack of light. Mention crypts, anubiases, mosses and java fern as plants appropriate for beginners. Also you could touch on the subject of bamboo and how to successfully eep it (ie not submerging it, etc.)

#8 · (Edited)
Importance of aged water... what is the importance?! Aging it outgasses the chlorine but not chloramines or heavy metals. Perhaps you should write on the importance of conditioning water?
Fresh water has a LOT of oxygen dissolved in the water, and especially in cold seasons where the water is colder and has a higher concentration of oxygen.

You know how when you let a cup of water sit out in the open and air bubble start to appear on the side of the glass? That's the oxygen coming out of the water.

When a fish is placed in such fresh water, those air bubbles can form on the fish and on their gills and that oxygen can actually burn their gills. :O Hence why if you can, let the water age. Usually I leave my water to age for about 6 hours before i put my fish back into the water. By then all the air bubbles have formed on the side of the tank and won't form on the fish.

I forgot where I read it (I'll go fishing for the source) >.<;; I'm not sure if it's just oxygen or a combination of several gases, but apparently those air bubbles burn their gills... and that would make sense. :/ I mean personally I'd like to reduce the stress caused by water changes for my fish. And if those air bubbles hurt them, it'll probably stress them out.

[edit:] Found it!

http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/315/ said:
Most people also prefer to age their water for atleast 24 hours. This helps to get the extra oxygen out from running it from the tap. The bubbles from unaged water can result in gill burn if they get on your betta.
@Romad: Oh! I totally forgot about that! Dx Jeez! Thanks xD!

@Dramaqueen: :D Thanks! That's a good one!

@Jupiter: I don't know Dx but probably...

Yeah, personally I don't like under gravel filters but I think I was probably using the one I had wrong >_>;; or something... but APPARENTLY they're very good D: But I think it's still good subject to write about.

:D And I was gonna write a bit on that!

#7 ·
Are they buying them from the shop in St. Laurent? Just curious. :p

For filters, I've heard bad things about undergravel filters, so I avoid those. I only have experience with power filters, I think they're called? Did you mention how to build baffles for those filters that aren't adjustable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.