Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #1 
moonsand0wls

Question What medications do you deem "necessary" to have handy when you breed your Betta?

I'm trying to learn and find out as many things as I can before I start my first breeding attempt with my Betta.

So, in doing so, I'm trying to build myself a 'check-list' and make sure I have everything that I might possibly need for when I am breeding my Betta, and raising the fry.

I have two questions:

1 - What medications do you think I should have in hand for when I breed my Betta? And what about when I'm raising the fry?

2 - Epsom Salt - That's Magnesium Sulphate, right? (MgSO4). Does it matter if it says it's for fish? Or is all Epsom salt the same? I can't find any for "fish" just Epsom salt and I'm wary.

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but, you have to learn sometime and some where..

Thank you :')
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Don't go crazy spending money on medications. If you're going to be raising fry, you should look into not being tolerant with deceases on your fish because it's very easy for everyone else to get sick when you're doing so many water changes.

I ONLY use an ick medication which I add one drop per galon to my water as an aditive with water changes. I use it as a preventative and have never had problems with it.

In the rare instance I find I sick fish, I will cull it if I think what they have is not simple to treat.
It's a little harsh, I know. But you don't want to risk the health of all of your fish to try and save one.

I've never used Epson and I think is badly promoted as a "fix all" but 100 people here will disagree with me with this and the culling... just wait.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #3 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Don't go crazy spending money on medications. If you're going to be raising fry, you should look into not being tolerant with deceases on your fish because it's very easy for everyone else to get sick when you're doing so many water changes.

I ONLY use an ick medication which I add one drop per galon to my water as an aditive with water changes. I use it as a preventative and have never had problems with it.

In the rare instance I find I sick fish, I will cull it if I think what they have is not simple to treat.
It's a little harsh, I know. But you don't want to risk the health of all of your fish to try and save one.

I've never used Epson and I think is badly promoted as a "fix all" but 100 people here will disagree with me with this and the culling... just wait.
May I ask, how many spawns you have raised? :) And that's cool, thank you. I think I might listen to you on this one. What is a good medication for ick?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I don't really have meds for fry. But I do keep 2 types of meds, both mainly for fungus and external infections. I mainly rely on IAL and Aq. salt.

Culling the sick is probably the safest method, specially if you have a large batch.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #5 
inareverie85

Meth Blue, Malachite Green, and Coppersafe are the meds I have on hand, mostly to deal with fungus and parasites, especially Velvet.

I put a little Meth Blue in my spawn tanks as a preventative of fungus that specifically affects eggs.

I do have to agree with Vicky though. In a spawn of 100, I'd rather cull the few sick ones than isolate, treat, and risk infecting the entire spawn. I think I would only bother to treat if I knew that the disease was a simple cure or if the entire spawn came down with the illness.

Also, it's noteworthy that if you are looking into antibiotics you should find one that treats gram-negative infections.. Most antibiotics on the market treat gram-positive, but most infections that fish get are gram-negative. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by inareverie85; 11-15-2012 at 10:44 AM.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #6 
crowntaillove

meth blue is mainly used as a preventative right? Can you get it at a petstore, or is it something you have to order online?
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 
moonsand0wls

thanks :) I don't get the gram positive and gram negative with medication but I'm sure I'll find out soon :)
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #8 
Myates

Regarding the Epsom Salt question - you will find it in the pharmacy section, you are wanting just plain Epsom, no dye or fragrance. It's gentle on the fish (and you!), and you will use it for problems such as bloating, SBD, constipation, etc.. you tend not to need it for fry though, but always good to have on hand. There is no fish specific Epsom.

AQ salt in case the male or female gets injured during mating - can treat any wounds once removed from the tank.

Fungus medication is also good to have, as sometimes the eggs and fry can easily grow fungus... you got some other good info already, so will leave it at that. Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #9 
moonsand0wls

Thank you :D