Betta Fish Forum banner

Setting up a new 20 gallon long tank *Other Fish*

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  TheGoldenBetta 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello there,

I've decided to set up a brand new 20 gallon long tank! I'm currently cycling the tank and am looking at the fish! I'm using aqadvisor but I would rather have live feedback :).

My main concern is feeding, as I am sure has been seen before. Here are the fish I am thinking of getting:
Cherry Barbs(5)
Bloodfin Tetras(6)
Topsail Platys(4)
Black Molly(1)
Panda Cory(4)
(Am I being over zealous here :)?)

Am I overstocking the tank with this list? AQ has me basically at max.

I will be using an Aqueon quiet filter 30, a aqueon 100w heater holding a steady 76F temp. The tank will have no live plants as I have an LED hood and would rather not replace bulbs all the time! :p So I will be getting silk plants, a few larger decorations (still deciding on a theme), and the substrate will most likely be a natural looking gravel.

As for the feeding, most of them accept flake foods (I would buy the best of the best), and the cories needing sinking pellets (again the best of the best). All of the fish would also enjoy brine shrimp or bloodworms as a supplement to their flakes. I guess my question goes, how can I be sure all the fish are getting enough to eat, and the sinking pellets aren't being gobbled up before reaching the cories? Also, when I put in worms or shrimp, how can I be sure of everyone getting the supplement they need? Do I have to anchor them so the cories get their fair share?

Sorry for all the questions :). Open to all!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you are a bit over zealous. For starters, a 20 long, once substrate is in the tank, is only going to provide about 9 inches of depth. I don't think that's enough for 4 groups of fish.

As for food - they will all eat a high quality pellet food like NLS. Skip the flakes.

#3 ·
What would you suggest taking the fish count down to? I could do without the Cherry Barbs. Would that be an acceptable amount?
Putting us down to Tetras, cories, platys and the Molly.

The NLS pellets sink. Will the cories gobble them all up or will everybody get their fair share?

#11 ·
Please look at my posts and find angelfish fins thread it's urgent! I need help!

#12 ·
Since I can't edit my OP, here is my currently reviewed list:
(6) Bloodfin Tetra
(4) Tiger Ruby Platy (Also all males. NO FRY!!!!. Is this okay?)
(4) Panda Corydory
(2) Blue Cobra Guppy (Both will be male. NO FRY. Is this okay?)

Is this looking better? Can I add, should I take away? Is this perfect? Will everyone get along?

I'll feed them all NLS pellet food, which will eventually sink for the Pandas. Along with the occasional bloodworm or brine shrimp.

#13 ·
What I suggest is to put some pellets on the surface, then put some on the filter current. They sink pretty fast that way.The guppies will be no problem added in. Your tank sounds great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.