Betta Fish Forum banner

Best gravel siphon for a 2.5g tank?

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ANHEL123 
#1 ·
I was thinking about buying this TOM gravel siphon from Amazon, and I was hoping to hear some feedback from you guys. Has anyone here had good experiences with it? Is it appropriate for a 2.5 gallon tank? If not, does anyone have suggestions for an inexpensive gravel vacuum appropriate for my tank size?

#2 ·
That hose is way too large for a 2.5 gallon tank.

You'd almost be better off just getting a piece of standard air hose, and using that. The concept is the same, but you won't drain your entire tank in 5 seconds like you would with the 1-inch hose on that siphon you linked.

#3 ·
This is what I use in my 2g. I'm making it a rule, though, to take out my fish before using it. It sucks up really quickly. Wayyyy more powerful than even my 20g pump (thinking of using it in my 20g...lol). However, it does it's job and it does it VERY well. It's small, and powerful. My advise would just be to take your fish out....I've read plenty of horror stories on here or people loosing their precious babies to accidents involving these things....

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11123493&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

#6 ·
This is what I use in my 2g. I'm making it a rule, though, to take out my fish before using it. It sucks up really quickly. Wayyyy more powerful than even my 20g pump (thinking of using it in my 20g...lol). However, it does it's job and it does it VERY well. It's small, and powerful. My advise would just be to take your fish out....I've read plenty of horror stories on here or people loosing their precious babies to accidents involving these things....

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11123493&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No
I have that gravel pump too!!! I love it! XD

#5 ·
I have a 2.5 and what I found worked best was the smallest siphon I could get (about as big around as a quarter) snd I cut about 3 inches off cuz it was too long. I don't remember the brand though, but it works great and I don't have to worry about draining tank too fast or catching fish.

#9 ·
I checked around town and the only small vacuum any shop carries was the Aqueon Siphon Vacuum mini 5" (the one you suggested, mld02004). It says it's ideal for my 2.5 Aqueon tank. I'll be trying it out in a few days - hopefully it works well!

#10 ·
That one's a really good one too! The point is to have a gravel van fit for your tank. Brand is just another one of those small details. :3

Gahhhh your cat is just SO cute!!!

#14 · (Edited)
Do you really want to cycle 2.5 gall? You really don't have to. It difficult to establish cycling in 2.5 gall. It really better to do 2x50% and 1-100% water changes a week. And if you don't cycle you don't need siphon or filter.
And if you really still want to cycle, make sure you do 50% water changes weekly with gravel vacuuming, filter media rinse in the old water WITH a water change, wall cleaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.