Betta Fish Forum banner

new betta

1K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  AlgarveblueVT 
#1 ·
Hi everybody

I am thinking of purchasing a new betta and getting a small 5-10L tank,
will i need something to produce bubbles, aeration??
or can they survive in just a small tank by itself?

#2 ·
Go with a 10L tank. You would need a heater depending on how cold it is where you are, also aeration isn't needed as bettas have a labyrinth organ they breath out of, and a filter is needed as well. Any other questions? Make sure you get water conditioner (API Stress Coat is what I use).

#3 ·
thanks for that.

whats the difference between an aerator and filter??

#4 ·
@txbettaowner

I realise that there is no powerpoints in the conservatory where the fish will be, it is hot here in Portugal at the mo around 30 degs.
Will it be possible with water monitoring and regular water changes, as I wont be able to use a filter??

#5 ·
30 degrees is hot? A betta needs to be in water temperatures of 76 degrees to 82 degrees. Aernator would be like an air stone that puts oxygen into the water. Bettas don't need that as they go up to the surface and get air like other mammals do in the ocean

#6 ·

I have just read a post that says that a 10L tank without filter is possible as long as a weekly to twice weekly water change of 50% is done.

does this sound ok to you??

#7 ·
Oh okay then no heater needed as long as the water is reaching at most 30 degrees Celsius. Yes a 10L tank is alright with out a filter as long as you are doing the appropriate amount of water changes which for a 10L or a 2.5 gallon tank is every other day and it is 100% every other day or 3 to 4 times a week.

#8 ·
Actually, a 2.5 gallon tank is just fine with only two weekly water changes, one 50% and one 100%. Too many changes will stress the fish, so you don't need to go overboard. I've got three of these running, they're fine on that water change schedule.

Sounds like you've got a good plan AlgarveBlueVT! Good luck with your new little friend, and be sure to post pictures for us!

#9 ·
just getting into the whole betta thing.

I have a 55L tank with one blue (VT) and a female( separated) on e other half of the tank with some neons and others.

lost so many fish in the past.
Since I have been doing this quarantine thing- which i did with blue VT- no probs and managed to rescue one of my 2 females with some meds and a little garlic :).

#10 ·
I am seeing that most of your tanks are tall and deep- not long and shallow.

I am guessing they prefer deep tanks.

#11 ·
Many water changes won't stress out the fish, that is a myth. What about breeders, do they only do two water changes per week for their jars? ;-)

No, they like the tanks long and shallow. Having a deep tank will mean more energy is used to get to the surface for a breath. I *presume* Seki's 2.5 is a minibow which is deep, but not too deep.

#12 ·
+1
If your tank will be 1-3.5 or even larger you don't have to cycle it, meaning that you don't need the heater.
You can do either full water changes or you can do 2-50% and 1-full water change. It what is more convenient for you. But if you can, go with 3 or 2.5 rather than one gall tank.

You need to acclimate the fish to the new water so you don't stress them with the water temp difference . I personally like to age the water for my tanks. If you age the water (STILL HAVE TO PUT WATER CONDITIONER,before aging or after) , so when you aging it for about 24 hrs then the new water is the same temp as his water and you don't have to worry about temperature thing.
I do it in the summer when i take heaters out from all my tanks , as we have hot summer here.

I also like to say to quarantine any new fish always, and do not share anything between your new fish and other fish in case new fish is sick. And sometimes you don't even see any symptoms that can develop later on. So i think it very important.

I don't know i do full water changes for all my tanks and never had any problems with that. All my bettas live long lives . So i don't know why people thinking that you stressing them out with a water change. Yes a few of them get mad in the changing cups but never saw any stress lines or any other symptoms. I have betta that is 5 years old and the youngest about i think 2.2 . And i have 10 of them.

I think you can have 2 bettas in the same tank, feed the same , change water the same and those betta will have different life length

#13 ·
How to acclimate your betta to the new water:

1. can have betta in the changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding small amount of the new water about every 5 min for about 5-6 times -this way you he will get used to the temperature:)

2. Note the temperature of the water.

Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 10 min. (Study during this time. If he sits longer, it's OK.)
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed. (If he sits longer because you're studying, that's OK.)
Gently release him into the tank.

3. To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

4. When I change the water I put him in the cup I got him in then I take everything out of the tank, rinse everything with warm tap water. Then I put everything back in the tank, fill it with dechlorinated new water, and then turn the heater on. When the tank water is the same as the cup water , then take the dirty cup water out and a little at a time and put clean tank water in the cup. After that I put the cup in the tank and he swims out.
ANHEL123 is online now Report Post

#14 ·
10L bowl I should imagine a kind of like jars in a way.

I will see what I can kind.

#15 ·
You don't have to do it if it not convenient for you .You can just acclimate him the way i posted in my last post. But 10 L its about 2.5 gall. I am using just two - 1 gall jugs from the spring water. I fill up the tank with 2 gall of the water, put betta in the tank. Then whatever more left to add, i just premix new water(without aging it), add water conditioner and slowly pour it in the tank.

#16 ·
I have read not to introduce shop water with tank water ,
I place the betta and bag in tank for 10-15min
put my tank water into new tank and then after he has come out of quarantine put him into other tank water

#19 ·
today I was unable to get my new boy anywhere.
I will have to get him from Aquabid.com, but i think that the shipping to Portugal is going to be a lot of money.

#20 ·
Oh you are from Portugal how cool!!! Not sure about shipments may be other people can give you good advice. But i know that you can find reputable breeder on this forum who might help you better. Do you want me to try to ask a few people on the forum to help you?
Non of the stores near you carry bettas at all? May be they waiting for the new shipment?

#21 ·
Hi there.
As the crisis has hit they stock very little and only Veil tails now, which I have.
I am after something special as this will be a one off purchase.
Please please ask.

#22 ·
looking to buy a very nice Halfmoon if anybody is selling.

#23 ·
Hi Algarve. You may want to check aquabid.com and look for a Thai betta. Because you live in Portugal, you will most likely have to order out of country and face transhipping no matter what you do. If you order a Thai betta, they already have most transhipping contacts set up and if not, may be able to locate a transhipper in Portugal. What you'd then do is order the betta that you like and then contact the transhipper in your country. The betta is then shipped to the transhipper who takes care of customs and then ships it to you.

#24 ·
Hi there.
I have just registered on Aquabid, but I see shipping is quite costly.
I was wondering if anybody on this forum sells halfmoons? and would ship abroad.

#25 ·
#26 ·
@Sakura8
just spoke with seller on aquabid.com he told me to contact german trans-shipper.

its going to be too costly i think, means it has to got to Germany and then Portugal.

#28 ·
@gbose
I have no power for filter :(
will have to do water change in 10-12L fish bowl

been looking at some halfmoons and crowntail
but waiting for some of the recommended sellers to relist on aquabid

#29 ·
what other sellers do you guys recommend on Aquabid?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.