Betta Fish Forum banner

Help! I need to heat my 1 gallon betta tank

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  brancasterr 
#1 ·
I just got a new Betta yesterdat after not having one for quite some time. I also got him a new tank in which I put spring water, water conditioner, gravel, a java fern, and a few other decorations for him to toy around with. The water fluctuates between 72 and 74 but I want him to be warmer(or is he just fine?). Does anyone have any good suggestions on small heaters that would heat such a small tank effectively without overheating it? I don't want to cook the little guy, just make him extra cozy. :)

#2 ·
I would go get a bigger tank. Most people suggest at least having a betta in a 2 gallon. I have a 1.5 gallon tank that I have a heater for a ten gallon tank in it, and it works fine, but it's risky having a big heater heat a small tank. No, I don't have a betta in the 1.5 gallon tank. I have 18 platy fry in there until I can get a big storage container for them.

#3 ·
I actually can't get a new tank at this time. The 1.2 gallon tank I have right now is all I have and my betta is currently still in the small cup I bought him in. Which I don't like, however, I don't want to put him into the bigger tank without a source of heat. Which is why I asked for suggestions on good heaters to heat the small tank until I have the funds to get a new tank for him.

#5 ·
I went out today and bought a Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater from wal-mart because it claims to keep the water at 78 degrees, shut off when it reaches that temperature, then kick back in when the water deviates slightly from 78 degrees. It's been in there for about an hour now and my thermometer does read 77-78 and won't go any higher. Much much better than the 70 I found it at this morning when I woke up. Anyways, it seems to be working great and my betta is a happy camper. I hope it stays constant, I'll be watching closely. :shock:

#9 ·
I did a little experiment. I know i know, I usually say not to heat a 1g because it's dangerous.

I put my preset tetra heater in my 1g, and it works WONDERFULLY! I was a little skeptical, but it works great!

#11 ·
ecoprincess, I did the latter. I took him out, installed the heater and let the water warm up to make sure it would stay at a constant temperature. After I was sure it was working properly I let him acclimate in his bag and then let him swim out. It's been in there for some time now and has been working perfectly. :) What I like about it is that it has a little red led light that turns on to let you know when it's running and heating then shuts off when the water reaches the right temp. I've found that if it turns on it only turns on for a minute or so and usually only at night when the room temp drops. Also, I installed it horizontally closer to the bottom of the tank so I don't have to mess with it when I do partial water changes. I would recommend this heater to anyone. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.